Abbreviations and Acronyms
This page is to be used for abbreviations in Australia. It takes precedence over the Abbreviations and Acronyms page in the Global Wazeopedia.
Currently, the State field is not set for use in Australia. Where a state or territory abbreviation is required to distinguish between the same suburb (city) name in two different states, only the following abbreviations should be used, with the specified capitalisation.
|State/territory name||Standard abbreviation|
|Australian Capital Territory||ACT|
|New South Wales||NSW|
Do not use fullstops afterwards (e.g. Qld.) or inside (e.g. N.S.W.) these abbreviations. Note the use of conventional (mixed-case) capitalisation (e.g. Tas).
Measurement Suffix Abbreviations
|Suffix name||Standard abbreviation|
Standard Suffix Abbreviations
1. Only abbreviate suffixes ("road types").
- "The Avenue", "The Grove ", etc. should not be abbreviated, as Avenue and Grove are not road types in this context.
- "Parade Road" would be abbreviated to Parade Rd, as Parade is not a road type in this context. Similarly, "Mount Ousley Rd" should be recorded like that, without abbreviating the Mount.
2. Suffix abbreviations do not contain any punctuation, such as "." (Full-stops) or "-" (Hyphens).
3. In the event that the original suffix is a plural (i.e contains a "s" at the end) and only its singular form is present as an abbreviation, simply add an "s" to the end of the abbreviation.
4. If no abbreviation is given in this table, then spell out the word in full.
5. This list of abbreviations is based on AS/NZS 4819:2011, Rural and Urban Addressing
|Suffix name||Standard abbreviation||Comment|
|Avenue||Av||Ave appears in many places due to use by Australia Post|
|Crescent||Cr||Cres appears in many places due to use by Australia Post|
Prefixes, directional abbreviations and other (non-suffix) abbreviations should not be used, except for state/territory abbreviations as listed above.
1. Prefix abbreviations
- "St " at the start of a suburb name is part of the legal name. It should not be expanded to "Saint".
- "St " (meaning "Saint") as part of the street or city name should be shown as "St. " with the trailing full stop to cause it to be correctly pronounced by the TTS. (This mechanism is currently under review.)
2. Directional abbreviations include: East (E), South West (SW), Central (CN), Upper (UP), and Lower (LR).
- These abbreviations should not be abbreviated.
- In addition to not being abbreviated, directions should only be included when they are a part of the documented name, and not a suffix or prefix added at a later stage to describe location or orientation/ direction.
- The street type should still be abbreviated e.g. "Smith Rd East" is correct; "Smith Road East" or "Smith Rd E" are not.
Please refer to the following Waze forum for a "Work in progress" list of abbreviations that are being tested, currently available, and proposed: