Permission to use external road closure information
|Subject:||Using public announcements of road closures|
|Date:||Thu, 7 Feb 2019 19:16:37 +1030|
|To:||Dana Pienica <email@example.com>|
Severe flooding in Townsville has caused editors to again raise the question of using Government announcements of road closures as the basis for applying road closures in Waze. Most of those Government websites have copyright notices on them, and I have again advised editors that the Wiki on External Sources says they must not use external copyright information when updating the map. Some editors are frustrated by this limitation. Can we get Waze permission to use Government announcements of road closures when editing the Waze map?
Examples of the sites in question:
- Queensland: https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au/
- New South Wales: https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html#textview
- Victoria: https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/
- South Australia: https://traffic.sa.gov.au/#mapo
- Tasmania https://www.police.tas.gov.au/community-alerts/
- Northern Territory https://roadreport.nt.gov.au/road-reports
- Western Australia: https://travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Home/Map
- Australian Capital Territory https://www.nca.gov.au/national-land-and-lake/road-and-lake-closures/new-road-and-lake-closures
|Subject:||Re: Using public announcements of road closures|
|Date:||Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:28:16 +0200|
|From:||Dana Pienica <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
As I understand it, and according to legal advice here, road closures are public information (anybody can go to a road and validate the closure themselves). The websites are just making it easier for us to get the data.
Hope this helps!