BeNeLux Wiki in English, translation into other languages is started...
Before adding any cameras to the Waze map, you must be sure you are accurately reporting a camera installation. Many devices may have similar appearances, but very different functions.
You can add a new camera by selecting the road button at the top of the Map Editor and then selecting camera out of the drop down. The camera type is set and changed by selecting the camera and changing the camera type in the drop down box in the left pane.
Cameras should be placed over the roadway they are monitoring. The exact location depends on the type of camera:
Speed Cameras should be placed at the location of the camera itself. Red Light Cameras should be placed at the stop bar they are monitoring. Also be sure to place the correct quantity of cameras:
If a Speed Camera monitors one direction of traffic, you need one camera.
If a Speed Camera monitors both directions of traffic, you need two cameras.
You need one Red Light Camera per monitored direction. So if you have a 4-way intersection with camera watching every direction, you need four cameras.
Use as locking level the same level as the road segment.
When the camera icon is selected in the Map Editor, the red dot should point in the direction of travel a car will pass the camera. It does not matter if the real-life camera will take a picture of the front of the offending vehicle.
For example, if a road runs east-west and the east bound lanes are monitored for speed, the red dot should point eastward of the camera icon in the Map Editor. Be sure the angle of the red dot also matches the angle of the flow of monitored traffic.
These permanently mounted cameras monitor for instantaneous violations of maximum speeds. If a Red Light Camera Installation monitors Speed Limit Violations, there is no need to add a separate Speed Camera. The speed limit can be applied directly to the Red Light Camera.
The Max Speed for a camera should be set to the speed limit for the road which the speed camera is monitoring. The Max Speed can also be set for a Red Light Camera if it monitors for speed limit violations as well as red light violation. Leave the max speed set to blank if speed is not monitored. Zero is not blank; a max speed of zero will cause the camera to always generate an audible alert.
Red Light Camera
Permanently mounted cameras monitor for red light violations and optionally for violations of maximum speeds.
Sometimes a fake device is placed.
- The "30" on the speed cam icon is just part of the image and is not an indication of the actual speed to which the speed camera is set.
- The camera direction (the direction from the center of the image to the red circle) defines the driving direction for the camera.
- The current camera image implies that the camera captures the traffic from behind. Don't be fooled.
- The app warns about a speed camera if it is valid, points in the same direction as the road segment, and the driver is exceeding the limit set on the camera.
- app warns about a red light camera if it is valid and points in the same direction as the road segment.
- It is not possible to define a camera in such a way that it differentiates between traffic going straight on and traffic turning left or right. The camera will show up regardless of the route.
- Average speed cameras are not mapped as cameras. Use only the Average speed camera checkboxes on the road segments where the average speed is checked.