The non-drivable road types are:
- Walking trail - Not able * to drive with a vehicle but with possible destinations.
- Pedestrian Boardwalk - Not able * to drive with a vehicle and without destinations.
* Not able means in this context not able or not allowed. On many foot paths and bicycle paths it is physical possible to drive with a car or motor cycle, but these road types shouldn't be used by this type of traffic.
Page on the Locking level of non-drivable roads.
Non-drivable roads like walking trails and pedestrian boardwalks shouldn't be added, unless there is a good reason. Check the Wiki pages on these road types: Walking trail and Pedestrian Boardwalk.
Not or not always drivable
We often get the question "how do we map non-drivable or restricted access roads?" In the table below you will see what to do in every situation.
|Walking trail||Not able to drive with a vehicle|
Possible destination along the segment
Considered for routing if connected via a real junction node
|Pedestrian Boardwalk||Not able to drive with a vehicle|
Does not have any destinations along the segment
Not considered for routing, connect only via phantom nodes.
|Private road||Able to drive with a vehicle|
Not always allowed to drive with a car
|Street with restriction||Access restricted for certain vehicle types|
Access restricted for certain hours of the day
Walking Trail or Pedestrian Boardwalk
If a footpath leads from a normal road to a Walking Trail, but this path has no destinations / house numbers, should it be defined as PB or is a PB skipped in the routing and should we take WT without house numbers?
Best use a WT, see picture below.
The previous standard "Use Walking trails for public transport" is changed into "use Pedestrian Boardwalk for public transport". because both non-drivable roadtypes have now a fix. Preference for PB because public transport lanes shouldn’t have (by accident) destinations. But Pedestrian Boardwalk should not be chosen if they can be used by taxis.
Belgium F99 sign
- If there are houses or other destinations along the segment (house numbers), then a Private Road is used. Possibly to be completed with unpaved checked.
- If there are no destinations the road should be mapped as a Pedestrian Boardwalk.
- If necessary, the road can be divided into a part with habitation (Private Road) and a part without habitation (Pedestrian Boardwalk).