Canada/Map Raid Toronto
MapRaid Canada has begun on 2015-06-28, 17:00 UTC (1:00 PM EDT). The raid will last for roughly 7 days.
| Please be sure to explore the Wiki page. Also, check back regularly in case of added materials.
You are only seeing modifications of this page made up until Tue, 18 Feb 2020 04:15:35 UTC,
make sure to log in to the wiki to see the latest updates.
|Registration for MapRaid Canada is closed.|
Welcome to Canada
Canada follows most of the editing guidelines that the USA does so most practices can be used without issue.
However there are a few differences that need to be understood before entering the Great White North!
- Freeways have a different method of being set up and entered/exited. Do not change any road types without contacting a local host first.
- Be aware that French is the second language for all of Canada and many people speak it as their first. If you run into a French issue, please do not use Google Translate. Several of our Canadian editors are fluent, please contact them to deal with the issue. There is a channel in Slack for this: ca-ask-canadian
- Although there is a locking standard table, Canada has Traffic Locks (Auto Locks) active. These locks take precedence.
Please review the Canada Wiki page before diving into our icy waters!
Thanks for participating and happy editing!
Our mission are to handle the following (in order of priority):
- Places validation
The MapRaid! is being divided up by teams.
|doctorkb ( )||Alberta||Mountain|| Waze Global Champ |
Chief Canadian Administrator
|hmarian ( )||Toronto||Eastern|| Waze Global Champ |
|manoeuvre ( )||Toronto||Eastern||Waze Local Champ - Canadian Champ|
|CoolCanuck ( )||Barrie||Eastern||Waze Area Manager for Simcoe Region|
|e-sarge ( )||Oshawa||Eastern||Waze Area Manager for Durham Region|
|IamtheLexx ( )||Niagara Falls||Eastern||Waze Area Manager for Niagara Peninsula|
|PsstDizel ( )||Newmarket||Eastern||Waze Area Manager for York Region|
|ShaneYYZ ( )||Milton||Eastern||Waze Area Manager for Milton, ON|
|kkarkid ( )||Wellington North||Eastern||Waze Area Manager for Southwestern Ontario|
|Nagamasa ( )||Waterloo||Eastern||Waze Area Manager for Southwestern Ontario|
Canada has active "Traffic Locks", these locks are based on usage from users. They are limited to a max rank of 4, but can be any rank below.
Segments that have restricted turns must be locked to Level 5.
When traffic locks are not enough to effectively protect an area, or after a city has undergone a "Road Classification" change the locks may be manually set to the below standards, depending on the decision of the Canadian Champs.
If the traffic lock is higher than the minimum standards listed below, please don't lower the lock.
|Segment Type||Default locks|
|highest rank of connected segment|
PUR should be reviewed for accuracy, once approved all relevant information pertaining to the place should be entered. Please use each company's website to gather all information you can. Once a place is complete please lock to rank 3. If your own editor rank is 1 or 2, let someone else know via Slack, since you can't lock to rank 3.
This practice will prevent app trusted users and most IGN editors from making incorrect changes to places we know are right. App trusted users and IGN editors are rarely rank 3.
- Use the FC/RC classification of the road leading to the ferry crossing.
- If the ferry has a toll, mark it as a toll road.
Speed Cameras are not allowed in Ontario, feel free to remove them.
There are several resources for the various areas we will be working in.
The preferred method of communication for this Raid will be a web based program called "Slack". This program has many advantages over Google Hangouts.
If you aren't already a member of the Waze Map Raid Slack then please submit your information on this form: http://bit.ly/Slack_invite
You will receive an invitation in your email within 24 hours.
- New editor welcome page
- Waze Map Editor
- Best Map Editing Practice
- Editing manual
- Common editing mistakes
- How to make a Permalink
- All about using the WME Chat
- Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools where you'll links and descriptions to most of the editing scripts being used. Some of these are essential to good editing, and others make the editing process much easier. WME Validator, URO+, and WME Toolbox are highly recommended.
Recommended Tools for MapRaid
- UR Comments - a tremendous time and labor saving tool with automation and integration with URO+, to help with working URs. Read the documentation.
- The WME Reference Sheet[PDF] is a printable double-sided tri-fold quick reference guide to some of the common topics used in WME.
- Place BrowserIn combination with the Place Name Harmonization list, this is an invaluable tool for working on existing places. Be sure to click the About tab to get an overview of the tool.
- Toronto Overlay is a script that places a city layer like overlay to mark out the editing groups.
- Validator is a script that validates a map area in Waze Map Editor, highlights issues and generates a very detailed report with wiki references and solutions.
- Download links:
- Note: for Firefox browser you also need Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey installed.
- Tapermonkey/Greasmonkey is required to use this script
- WME Chat Addon is a script that improves the WME chat GUI. For a list of all the features check the thread here.
Click on your map raid group to edit in your area or # Slack logo to go to your slack channel. Or go to the Canada mapraid general channel
|Check back here after the raid is completed to see the results and achievements|
Some editors really let their bright side out, and let their community skills shine. This is even more evident in a concerted group effort with high-density editing like a MapRaid!. Editors of all ranks working closely with each other and the Champs, really lets us everyone get to know each other, and allows certain editors to be recognized for their skills and effort.
When the Champs see someone consistently editing well, interacting well with the community, and knowledgeable of the various details from the Wiki, they can issue promotions. This can be anything from the size of a managed area, to a rank increase, or even a new role.
|Watch here for results of promotions during and after the raid.|