|Poweruser10 can be reached by private message.|
Base Map Triage Editing
Imported Map Discussion
The Base Map consists of initial imported map from 2009 and is largely untouched or slightly touched.
- The Base Map does not meet current standards for the Waze Map and the following issues are commonplace:
- Extraneous roads and driveways
- This problem seems to especially prevalent around lake shores
- Non-existent roads are shown
- Unnamed segments, segments that lack actual names
- Segments with the improper city, town, parish or municipality name
- Some segments have multiple improper city, town, parish or municipality names in the Alt name
- Wrong state
- Wisconsin Roads have roads labelled with Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan
- Direction is unknown or improperly 1-way
- Overlapping Segments
- Disconnected Segments
- Causes the road to be unroutable due to the disconnect
- Misplaced Segments
- Sharp Angles
- Wrong Geometry
- Wrong classification
- Extraneous roads and driveways
Base Map Clean Up
Primer on editing
First look at Edits to Avoid
Be sure to follow and understand the local standards for the state in which you are editing. Each state has a Wiki page that addresses items such as:
- Name normalization
- Road classification
- Locking standards
Scripts for WME (Waze Map Editor)
- Have the Validator Script installed, here is the link for Chrome
- Be sure to have the WME Validator Localization for your state
- Understand County Road Classification minimums:
- Consult official government sources for Functional Classification
- Base Map contains a lot of county roads that are improperly classified as streets. It is really important to classify them as at least PS (primary Streets) per USA road types, lock to standard lock level, and change the name according to the normalization convention for your state: (See your local state wiki for direction).
- Keep in mind that many Highways co-mingle, or are multi-named. Again, follow the wiki for naming the roads and maintaining the Alternate name.
- Maintaining continuity in road naming is very important for BC (Best Continuation) and BDP (Big Detour Prevention mechanism triggering/non-triggering).
- When deleting the old convention naming in the alternate names, be sure to add the new convention before deleting the old to avoid typographical errors in the renaming process. If you forget or aren't sure, hit cancel and start over or even refresh your browser without saving.
- The WME Validator Localization for your state will typically highlight roads that are misnamed, not properly locked or Have unconfirmed turns. It is a good idea to check the local official map source, provided there is not a copyright infringement.
- Check for correct naming and routing as well. Local highway routing and paths are somewhat dynamic in nature. It is a good idea to discuss re-routing in your local Hangout and/or forum. Have the approval of your SM (State Manager) before proceeding.
- State highways should be at least mH (minor highway), refer to the wiki for street types, ask questions. mH is locked to L2.
- Road Direction You will find a lot of roads that are one way or unknown direction. The vast majority will become 2-way. Also, most driveways get deleted. Delete the extraneous junctions as well. You will find a lot of driveways around lake fronts. Most of these get deleted as well.
- Extra geo nodes: Remove excess geo nodes as this loads the server. Highlighting a segment and pressing the number 1 removes all geo nodes. Holding down D and hovering over unwanted nodes deletes them individually. Personally for a 25 MPH, 90° curve, I will do a geo node at the very start of the turn on both ends, then drag the middle to the center of the curve, then divide each of the two legs in half again to make a smooth turn. This method makes a curve with five geo nodes.
The above is my opinion and is there to help with the task of cleaning up base map. Note: It will take multiple passes to get it all up to standard. We will learn as we go.
(as found in the skill sheets sent to each of you):
- Before You Start. K.I.S.S
- Look at the WME Reference Sheet
- Familiarize yourself with the Forum
- Read the wiki on the Waze Map Editor
- Interface 1 - Permalink
- Learn how or make sure you understand the Waze Map Editor/Permalink
- Interface 2
- Layers and Chat
- Be sure you have the chat add-on loaded)
- Interface 3
- WME Toolbar
- Status, Tile Updates, Points
- Your Rank and Points: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Your_Rank_and_Points
- Map Updates: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Map_tiles
Thanks for your willingness to participate!
Feel free to discuss among yourselves, the Wisconsin Mentor HO and/or the Wisconsin Editors and AMs HO.