(DRAFTː NOT IN USE AT THIS TIME)
Dedicated Slack Team Waze USA VEOC
- waze-usa-emergencies.slack.com is the web address of the team.
- If you need an invite please use the following form http://bit.ly/Waze_USA_VEOC
USA Emergency Procedure Resources
- Depending on the nature of the event you may want to extend the closure end date/time to past the reported end time for the event. For example with major flooding how will the road condition be know until the water recedes? For snow/ice is 24/48 hours enough time for the plows and snow/ice treatment to work so roads can be opened? This is a suggestion as it is difficult for the reporting agency to know how long a road will need to be closed when the event is still occurring. It is easier to remove a closure once than to keep extending it several times a day/week. In past events we worked over 1,100 different road closures. This is not to encourage a set and forget it approach. It will be up to the locals to review the sheet and adjust/remove the closer's as needed.
- Do you want to allow traffic to auto open a closure or do you want Waze to ignore traffic when inputting a closure?
- Be mindful of your editors availability when setting end time on closures. Do you really want your closures ending at 8am when most people are still dealing with morning routines? Having them end at 5pm is not any better for the same reason.
- When closing a segment it is helpful to list the between roads in case more closures are needed on the same road name in a different location(s). Saying Main St is closed it not much help if you have three different parts of Main St to close in the same city/county. Saying Main St is closed between 1st St and 5th St as an example lets other verify if anything needs to be done with the other reported closures.
- We need to close all of the segments that are reported by the source agency not just the segment we think needs closing. There might be barricades in place for all of the reported segments even though a small portion of the road might be affected. The source agency needs to trust that we are going to close whatever segments they say are closed
- For road segments flagged as local traffic only closures the suggestion is to keep the segment closed but can be overridden by CM/RC or SM as needed.
Waze Catastrophic Event Closure Tracking
Below is the google form and google sheet currently being used to track closures in weather related events. The form is for use by anyone and feeds the sheet. The sheet is used by those that can do the closures. Be sure these match the ones that are pinned to the #usa-emergencies channel on the usaregions.slack.com team
Below is the google sheet currently being used to track closures in weather related events.
WME tips, short cuts, etc
- To select all segments between two other segments, first select a segment, then use alt+click to select a second segment. The editor will add to the selection group the segments in-between the first and second segments, based mostly on the street name, but also on simple straight lines. Important Be sure to check and make sure the proper segments are selected before making closures or submitting PL for processing of closures.
Google sheet tips, short cuts, etc
- To change the view and only see a certain condition Click on (Data) then (Filter views) then choose the one you want from the choices on the far right. http://prntscr.com/8zi7mg
DATA FILTER VIEW FOR SPECIFIC STATE
- You will need to do the following steps
- Data->Filter Views -> Closure By State (View)
- click the gear icon in Data Filter View
- click Duplicate. This should make a copy of the Data View
- Change the name of from "Closure By State) to the state(s) you want to see (ie NC Closures) as name<>. This will be in the upper left hand corner above the column letters.
- Go to cell I3 and click the filter icon.
- Select the state you want to filter. Deselect others as necessary.
- This will now create the data filter view for that particular state.
- This is the Permalink to the closure with the layers stripped out.
UPDATING TIME CHECKED -
- Updating the time checked in Column G "LAST CHECKED TIME" is as simple as changing the name (Has to be a name change) in Column H "LAST CHECKED BY" or typing something in Column E (ie I usually just type the number 1). It should automatically update to the current time.
- Do so sparingly and probably with a warning to other editors. All you have to do to sort is click the Word Sort located at cell B1
- If for some reason an editor deletes out a row. Please click on the words ROW DELETION to re-execute the DUP SCRIPT. It is located at the top of Column P
COLUMN F "Type"
|OPEN||Open in Waze|
|CLOSED||Closed in Waze|
|NEEDS OPENED||Needs to be validated and open or extended as needed|
|REPORTED||Needs to be closed in Waze by editor with access to location|
|UNLISTED||No longer found on source location. Needs closure removed and marked as open|
|DUPLICATE||Segment ID(s) found in other closure Permalink(s)|
- If a line has expired and is reopened please change to OPEN in column F
- Are not editable as they are derived data. If the closure date/time needs extended please edit the date/time in Column T
- Slack users that are helping with the closures should setup a keyword of closure for being pinged when attention is needed. Example :closure:
- Do not make any edits to a segment that will force a change of the segment id. If the segment id changes you will need to wait for a tile update before you can add a closure to the segment.
- For extremely long sections of segments please provide the beginning and ending segments. The editor doing the closure will fill in the between segments.
- Zoom Levels... When creating a PL for a closure please be sure you are zoomed in to at least Level 4 [100 M | 500 Ft]
US County Overlays
- Important below you will find a county overlay script that will show the boundaries and place the county name in the upper left corner with the city/state. This is very important to use so that you can verify you are closing the correct road segment in the correct county. Some road names are used in more than one county.
- The following US County Overlays comes from Rick Zabel.
- The link to the forum post can be found here. https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=819&t=153709