Are there any short cuts that help me do map editing more quickly and easily?
Selecting Multiple Roads
You can get more done by first highlighting a bunch of roads. When I want to open up a new neighborhood, I click a bunch of road using control click, then carefully pull the window to see more roads, then when I have about 50 highlighted, I can set direction to 2 way (I leave out any roads that are one way) and Lock the direction for all 50 roads, then save changes. I wish we could do the same with junctions and enabling all turns. Unfortunately, you will still need to check the connectivity by turning on Highlight Connectivity and I click the junction to see connectivity is set right.
If you see the orange and green glow, kind of like the India flag, coming out of all 4 2-way roads at a junction, then you are properly connected (for that junction / road scenario). If not, then you have to manually connect the road segments. Sometimes just clicking the junction and then Enable all Turns will connect them all but sometimes not, then you set connectivity manually.
To select two or more egments of road.
- Mac: Command + Click
- Windows: Ctrl + Click
Then you can cut down on the mousing by using the keyboard.
- g - Edit the selected road/node/landmark geometry
- e - Edit the selected road/node/landmark details
- c - Connect the two selected roads
- s - Select 9 closest segments which belong to the same street
- D - Delete selected node from road geometry (only while editing road geometry)
- Delete - Delete the selected feature(s)
- Insert - Create a new road
- Esc - Deselect all features.
- y / n - (yes/no) hot keys in confirmation window