User:Herrchin/Basemap editing practices
The "basemap" is the original road data that Waze imported in 2009. It needs to be updated by map editors to function optimally.
- Use WME Validator to assist with identifying roads to update.
- Install the WME Validator Localization for Nebraska
Common basemap issues
- Roads with unknown direction
- Two-way roads incorrectly marked as one-way (one-way roads are rare outside urban areas)
- Reverse connections
- Unconfirmed turns
- Unnecessary junctions
- Private roads with the State field set as Iowa
- Self-connected loops (often at the end of rural driveways)
- Missing, outdated, or incorrect road names, or they do not match the NE road naming standards or USA abbreviations.
- Private farming paths that probably should not be mapped at all in Waze
- Driveways to buildings that no longer exist, or other superfluous roads.
- Zoom in to level 4 or closer so that Validator highlights problems on segments of type Street and Private Road, and so that you can see the road characteristics (one-way/two-way/unknown, etc.).