User:Herrchin/Basemap editing practices
The "basemap" is the original road data that Waze imported in 2009. It needs to be updated by map editors to function optimally.
- Use WME Validator to assist with identifying roads to update.
- Install the WME Validator Localization for Nebraska
- Use WME Toolbox
Common basemap issues
- Roads with unknown direction
- Two-way roads incorrectly marked as one-way (one-way roads are rare outside urban areas)
- Reverse connections
- Unconfirmed turns
- Incorrect u-turns
- Unnecessary junctions
- Private roads with the State field set as Iowa
- One-segment loops (often at the end of rural driveways). Fix: You can try to repair the loop, but often these are best simply deleted and the preceding driveway adjusted extended some.
- 2-segment loops that should be 3-segment (multi-entry rural driveways). Fix Ensure the correct Road Type and Direction, then select one of the endpoint junctions and press "Q" to have WME Toolbox automatically add an additional junction node for you.
- Missing, outdated, or incorrect road names, or they do not match the NE road naming standards or USA abbreviations.
- Private farming paths that probably should not be mapped at all in Waze (to irrigation pivots, grain silos, other private building that no Wazer would route to.
- Driveways to buildings that no longer exist, or other superfluous roads.
- "Spaghetti": A mess of private roads added from a previous visual analysis of satellite imagery.
- Zoom in to level 4 or closer so that Validator highlights problems on segments of type Street and Private Road, and so that you can see the road characteristics (one-way/two-way/unknown, etc.).
- Consider preserving private roads that parallel a public road, so that a Wazer on the private road isn't associated by Waze with the public road and potentially polluting the speed data.
Other improvements to make