User:Herrchin/Basemap editing practices
The "basemap" is the original road data that Waze imported in 2009. It needs to be updated by map editors to function optimally.
- Use WME Toolbox, and use the recommended settings shown in the screenshot.
- Use WME Validator to assist with identifying roads to update.
- Then install the WME Validator Localization for Nebraska
Common basemap issues
- Roads with unknown direction. Fix: Rural areas: Set as two-way unless there is reason to suspect a one-way (AGC, other). Urban areas: Check streetview and/or GIS resources to determine two-way or one-way.
- Two-way roads incorrectly marked as one-way (one-way roads are rare outside urban areas). Fix: Rural areas: Set as two-way unless there is reason to suspect a one-way (AGC, other). Urban areas: Check streetview and/or GIS resources to determine two-way or one-way.
- Unconfirmed Turns. Fix: Rural areas:
- Unnecessary junctions, which are also frequently Unconfirmed Turns; the turns must be confirmed (and all of the parameters of the 2 roads must match) before the junction can be deleted.
- Incorrect u-turns.
- Reverse connections.
- One-segment loops (often at the end of rural driveways). Fix: You can try to repair the loop, but often these are best simply deleted and the preceding driveway adjusted extended some.
- 2-segment loops that should be 3-segment (multi-entry rural driveways). Fix" First ensure the correct Road Type and Direction, then select one of the endpoint junctions and press "Q" to have WME Toolbox automatically add an additional junction node for you.
- Private farming paths that probably should not be mapped at all in Waze (to irrigation pivots, grain silos, other private building that no Wazer would route to.)
- Driveways to buildings that no longer exist, or other superfluous roads.
- "Spaghetti": A mess of private roads, paths, tracks added from a previous visual analysis of satellite imagery.
- Missing, outdated, or incorrect road names, or they do not match the NE road naming standards or USA abbreviations.
- Private roads with the State field set as Iowa.
Other improvements to make
- If needed, update the Functional Classification to the appropriate road type.
- Update the lock level to match the road type.
- Add Speed Limits.
- Correct elevation and add bridges/tunnels where appropriate per the Seagull guidelines.
Additional editing tips
- Zoom in to level 4 or closer so that Validator highlights problems on segments of type Street and Private Road, and so that you can see the road characteristics (one-way/two-way/unknown, etc.).
- Consider preserving private roads that parallel a public road, so that a Wazer on the private road isn't associated by Waze with the public road and potentially polluting the speed data.