Classes of crossings
Crossings can be classified according to the number of single and split(double) roads involved in the crossing.
- Simple 3-Way-Crossing (SSS)
Not much to say about this one - except that it is the ideal 3-way crossing: simple, stable, solid. Not much can go wrong with this one! If you have to deal with any of the following types of crossing, you may first look if it is possible to turn them into this type, since it will save you from a lot of trouble later on.
- Simple road crossing a split road (SSD)
The next simple type of crossing already has limitations. The way it is drawn here there is nothing that stops Waze from plotting a U-turn. Coming over the double road it takes two left-turns to get back on the road you came from. Typically that is NOT what you want.
- Split road crossing a simple road (DDS)
- 3 Split roads crossing (DDD)
- Simple 4-Way-Crossing (SSSS)
- Split road crossing 3 simple roads (DSSS)
- 2 Split roads crossing 2 simple roads (DDSS)
- 3 Split roads crossing 1 simple road (DDDS)
- 4 Split roads crossing (DDDD)