A “MapRaid” is a time limited, joint effort of a community, to improve the condition of the map. Veteran editors mentor new editors, and together they bring the map in the area to perfection.
Open to all ranks.
- 1 Goals
- 2 Hosts
- 3 Communication
- 4 Raid Areas and Groups
- 5 MapRaid Guidance
- 5.1 Before you edit
- 5.2 Improve major connectivity
- 5.3 Correcting base map
- 5.4 Add missing roads
- 5.5 Divide Highways
- 5.6 Solve URs and MPs
- 5.7 Large Area Places
- 5.8 Speed Limits
- 5.9 Road Classification
- 5.10 Unsurfaced Roads
- 5.11 Abbreviations
- 6 Tools for this MapRaid
- Create new roads where there is no basemap [Primary Goal]
- Fix basemap roads (including moving the roads to the correct places and ensuring connectivity) [Secondary Goal]
- Solve long distance routing issues
- Update pending Places
- Solve Update Requests and Map Problems
- Add important bodies of water, including Limpopo, Molopo, Shashe, and Linyanti rivers, and the Okavango Delta.
- Add / verify national park boundaries
|elphix ( )||6||Local Editor|
|LeighGr ( )||6||MapRaid Coordinator|
|OrbitC ( )||6||MapRaid Coordinator|
We will use these two methods to communicate:
- Waze's official but limited chat within WME (be sure to choose the Botswana chat room in the chat window)
- Waze Global Discord Server. Editors are already added in groups in the Waze Global Server for even better communication
- Primary communication language is English as we have editors from 47 different countries. Please ask for help if you need help with translation
- When working in the raid area, please set yourself visible in WME chat and turn on the Live Users layer
Raid Areas and Groups
Botswana has been divided into 4 mapraid groups which roughly align with districts of Botswana
Before you edit
Language: Choose your language
Left-hand Traffic (LHT)
In countries like the South Africa, United Kingdom, and Australia, the following terms are commonly used to describe the rule of the road for these countries:
- Left-hand traffic (LHT) - Traffic position
- Keep to the Left - Traffic position
- Drive on the Left - Traffic position
- Right-hand drive (RHD) - Driver position
Botswana is a Left-hand Traffic (LHT) country. For more about this, please read Rule of the road.
Improve major connectivity
Interconnection between major towns and cities has been identified as a major routing issue. We need to check the routes that connect the towns and cities. Many times, highways are interrupted by lower level streets, and Waze cannot calculate a long distance route.
Known interconnection issues
Correcting base map
In many places, the base map needs to be corrected. Some segments were created long ago when imagery was not as good as it is today. Alignment and road types are important factors to make sure are correct.
Add missing roads
Please read the simple quick-start guide for a guideline on adding new roads.If you notice any roads on the satellite layer that have not been added to the WME map, please add them. Make sure the road is complete, drivable and is connected to the rest of the road network. Some clues you can use to confirm smaller roads are:
- GPS layer showing Wazers are driving on the road.
- Information from local drivers who have been there (this can be you if you have been there).
Many roads are not surfaced (i.e. they are gravel roads). Use the "unpaved" checkbox only on "Street" road type. NEVER use the "unmaintained" road type. See #Unsurfaced Roads below for more on this.
If you are adding a new road whch will be classified as mH or higher and is wide enough for median segments at intersections to be >5m, you need to create two one-way segments. You can open Advanced Preferences and uncheck the box for "Draw new roads as two-way" to help with this.
Highways which were on the map before the mapraid began are already divided if they need to be. If you find an "old" highway that you think needs to be divided, please contact a mapraid leader. We follow the guidelines in this presentation when dividing roads to save traffic data in both directions.
Solve URs and MPs
When responding to URs, you have a few choices. You can use Google Translate or ask in our MapRaid Discord channel.
Large Area Places
Please add the National Parks, Forest Reserve, and Wildlife Preserves, using any allowable sources of information to get accurate boundaries. Please add bodies of water which are important for helping drivers orient themselves as they navigate with Waze. In general, roads are more important than bodies of water. If you have questions, please contact your group leaders.
Adding of speed limits in not the primary goal of the MapRaid. However, feel free to add them if you can verify them with Streetview.
|Road Type||Name Example||Name type||Lock Level|
|Nitshe Rd||Conventional Name||2|
|Lufupa Rd||Conventional Name||1|
Unsurfaced RoadsDO NOT use the road type "Offroad / 4x4". Use the most appropriate road type for routing.
Do NOT use the unpaved checkbox for road types Primary Street and up. Only use the unpaved checkbox for segments of type "Street". This is to allow good routing.
Only add streets which motorized vehicles can use. Do not add roads which are not passable, not wide enough, etc.
Botswana follows the global standards for road abbreviations and acronyms.
Common examples found in Botswana are as follows:
Tools for this MapRaid
Only use sources that are allowed by Waze.
- Satellite Imagery and Street View from within WME
- Websites from businesses
- Information which is in the Public Domain
- This map from the UN
- Locations of place names from the US government name search and map. You can type the longitude and latitude into the WME search box like this: '''26.573027, -17.079508''', or construct a Permalink URL like this: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lat=-17.079508&lon=26.573027&zoom=7 to zoom in on a place. You can combine this information with information from other allowed sources.
- Information from other maps
- Google Maps
- Google Street View
- Street names which appear in WME street view images (these come from Google Maps, and are sometimes wrong)
Warning: If you copy information from unauthorized sources, you may be removed from this mapraid. Also, every segment you edited may be removed from the map. Copying information from copyrighted sources is illegal!
Specific tools for this MapRaid
- Use this overlay for WME to view the boundaries of the mapraid groups. via an extra layer. Keep in mind that the border is very rough and cannot be used to precisely define the national boundaries.
- To use the overlay, you must first have TamperMonkey (Chrome) or Greasemonkey (Firefox) installed.
Highly recommended scripts
These tools are all scripts that will help you make better use of the information available to you in WME. For this mapraid, the following are highly recommended. You are responsible for learning what they do and using them appropriately.
- Tampermonkey plugin that will help you spot basemap problems more quickly. Ask group leaders for best basemap settings.
- An extension that removes the layer settings and insert the "missing" / in URLs
- Helps you spot 2-segment loops, segments with undefined direction, and "soft nodes" with unconfirmed turns, and has other tools available for higher-ranked editors. Some tools are not working following recent WME changes.
- An extension that shows junction's angles. Essential for knowing what the default Waze turn instructions will be.
- A script that shows where Street View imagery is available on WME segments and places.
Introduction to Basemap Editing