Difference between revisions of "State Manager"
m (→Local country pages)
m (1 revision imported: Second import of transfer package)
Revision as of 21:37, 15 February 2017
This page describes the role of State Manager.
Initially created for the US community, the State Manager role was designed in order to organize the editing effort across their fifty states. This role is now used in several other communities, as a springboard for country-wide responsibilities, providing an intermediate step between the Area Manager role and the Country Manager Role.
From a global perspective, "State" is defined as a subdivision of a country, generally resulting from a geographical, administrative, or political division, or resulting from the grouping of several cities / districts. It is a territorial unit that makes sense for the citizens. The local communities have the responsibility to define what a "State" is in the context of their country.
From this standpoint, a State Manager takes a responsibility for a "State"
The eligibility requirements for the role of State Manager are specific to each country, and are usually defined by the country management (Local and Global Champs). As a guideline, it is recommended good practice to consider the following minimum requirements for a candidate:
- Experienced rank 4 editor or higher
- Active in the community
- Active in the forums and chat
- Active in mentoring (informal or formal)
Roles & Responsibilities
The exact scope of an SM's responsibilities is specific to each country and is usually defined by the country management (Local and Global Champs). As a guideline, it is recommended good practice to consider the following minimum scope of responsibilities:
- Being granted editing rights in their entire "state".
- Making sure Unlocks/Updates related to their "state" are addressed timely.
- Working with editors on issues that are related to editing and other issues as they arise.
- Maintaining and updating a closures list for their state.
- Maintain/Update/Lead a dedicated "State" thread or sub-forum in the Waze Forum.
- They can monitor the forum, post updates, keep enthusiasm about "state" discussions going, and help keep the Country Managers informed.
- Help inform editors about existing policy and help evolve that policy based upon their work within a "state".
- Identify key areas in their "state".
- Identify, and keep the Country Management (Manager, Coordinator, Local Champ, or Global Champ where available) informed about advancing editors with good skills, and those editors which need improvement. (Basically the Country Management would like to get the SM's opinion on editors in their "state".)
- Keep a lookout for newer editors throughout their "state", and educate them by mentoring them formally, or informally.
How to become a State Manager
The SM nomination process is specific to each country and is usually defined by the country management (Local and Global Champs). As a guideline, it is recommended for the final approval/decision to assign the SM role to be made by the Country Champs and the Country Coordinator. Especially because this role is not the same as AM with a larger area, the SM role has much greater community involvement.
There can be multiple SMs assigned for a single "state".
Local country pages
Each local community may create a wiki page specific to their local usage which may elaborate or deviate from the content poster above.
The communities which have already created local pages are listed below, please visit the page for your community to see the local guidance.