|This revision of the page is currently undergoing modifications. The information and guidance is currently considered accurate enough to be followed now. If you would like to contribute to this content, please consider posting in the Pakistan Wiki Discussion forum or the Pakistan Slack first to discuss your ideas.|
You want to help too? Read along and join the local community of Waze Pakistan.
- 1 What is Waze?
- 2 Waze in Pakistan
- 3 Community
- 4 City and Streets
- 5 Roads
- 6 Places
- 7 Problem Reports
- 8 Bugs and limitations
What is Waze?
Waze is a free GPS navigation application for mobile phone or tablet. Waze has speech support, free map updates and uses real time traffic information and actual reports from its users. Users like you!
With Waze you can share your driver experience, connect with friends, send your ETA to show when you will be home, or just avoid traffic jams. Waze is crowd-sourced, meaning it is maintained by its users.
Waze in Pakistan
Waze Forums are the official Waze communication platform where you will find a lot of information as an editor. Log into the Waze Pakistan forum using your Waze login and password as you would the editor or app. The forum also has Private Messages (PM) where you can send and receive messages to other editors.
While you are editing, you can directly request help in WME chat. It shows you the level of the editor you are talking to. Please keep in mind that most editors are willing to help, but not all of them have the technical knowledge or editing experience to give you the best answer. Because the built-in chat does not always work as desired, we mostly use Slack to communicate with local community editors.
While the Waze Forums are the official method of communications for anything Waze, the local editing community has adapted to Slack for its day to day communication amongst the editors. There are teaching classes and webinars to improve your editing skills. There are several channels, project groups, and you can send Direct Messages (DM) too. If you like to join into discussions and development of Waze Pakistan, Slack gives the best opportunities. You can request access to Slack by filling in this form. You will then receive an invitation to Slack, where you need to make an account.
The community consists of all people that uses Waze one way or another. Drivers, editors, wiki master and the like. The current active community management in Pakistan is a mix of local and international editors. For any question or suggestion you can contact them via Waze forums or address one of the champs or project leaders directly from the tables below.
|Pakistan — Area, Country Managers, and Country Coordinators|
[CC] marcin_s ( )
|marcin_s(6) [ ]||Poland & Pakistan Country Coordinator|
|Dude495(5) [ ]
|Pakistan Country Manager
|jawadch(4) [ ]||Pakistan Country Manager|
|Kashif_Alvi(4) [ ]||Pakistan Country Manager|
|Z__A(4) [ ]||Pakistan Country Manager|
|ldriveskier(6) [ ]||Northern Pakistan
|Airchair(4) [ ]||North Eastern PK|
|MoffaCocca(3) [ ]||Lahore and Islamabad|
|saadat-Awan(2) [ ]|
|NOVAGENOFFICIAL(2) [ ]||Lahore|
- To add yourself, click "Edit Source" on the Editors section and add yourself in the appropriate section following the format of the other users.
The following editors are also editing in the country and may be working towards an Area Manager position. Feel free to contact them for assistance in their respective areas.
|Other Area Editors |
|Username||General Editing Area||Comments|
|SalmanNintyTwo(1) [ ]||Multan|
City and Streets
To be fixed....
Incomplete segments or red roads
Be sure to select country, state, enter the city name or check "None", and enter a street name, or check "None". Until you do this, your road will not be routable and will not show on the client map.
These incomplete segments are colored bright red in WME.
This must be done on all streets created in WME, and on all streets created with the client "Pave" function.
"Paved" streets must also be connected to their adjacent roads, and turn restrictions must be set in order to be routable.
For more detailed instructions on how to address red roads see: Confirming the road by updating details
Every loop must be made up of three or more segments
Any loop that does not follow this rule can cause problems for the Waze routing server. If there is no side-street, you must insert an extra junction node along the loop. Many new editors will see the extra junction node(s), assume they are not needed, and delete them. Please educate new editors.
Pakistan is made up of many different types and styles of roads. Below is a list of a few of them.
- - Motorways (limited access roads with no signal control)
- - All National Highways (which have numbers likes N55 and Expressways which have numbers E..)
- - All roads that connect two cities.
- - Major in-city roads and roads to small villages/Chak.
- - Streets within a city that are not listed as above. Typically neighbourhood roads.
- - Used for gated communities or private roads where the public would not be allowed to be routed through.
- - Roads within a Parking Lot Area, such as shopping centers, Petrol Pumps etc.
ISB, KHI & LHR
Minimum Road Lock Standard
|Minimum Road Lock Standard|
* HCS - Locked to the Highest Connecting Segment Lock Level (mH to FWY ramp would be locked to 4)
| The lock levels above are minimums, meaning that segments may have higher locks.
Note: Do Not Mass Edit just to update locks to these standards, these can be adjusted as you find them while editing other aspects of the segments.
Places are searchable destinations in the Waze map. They are similar to the "points of interest" found in certain popular GPS devices.
Area Places appear as polygons in the Waze app. Too many of them can clutter the map, creating large gray zones that do not help Wazers orient themselves. Therefore, it is important to use area places only when they are distinctive and significant enough to orient drivers. Exceptions include gas stations, and parking lots which receive special handling.
Point Places don't appear on the Waze app map. They can be used to help Wazers find public places, especially when they are not already listed in the other destination search engines.
Residential Point Places don't appear on the Waze app map. They can be used for help Wazers find addresses by searching; can be used for residences or businesses.
Non-residential point places and area places appear in both autocomplete and full search in the Waze app. The table of place categories and types in the Global Wiki, provides guidelines to help map editors decide between point and area places.
The Gas Stations feature in the Waze app is active in Pakistan. Prices can only be updated by users in the app. You must be within a radius of 0.3 miles/500 meters and above the rank of a baby Wazer to update gas prices.
A complete and accurate Gas Station Place enables drivers to search for their favorite brands of fuel and the best fuel prices near their current location or route. More about the gas station functionality in the client can be found in the Waze Help Center.
Refer to the Pakistan Gas Station page for detailed information on adding Gas Stations in Pakistan
In the Waze Map Editor we can see two different kind of Problem Reports:
- URs (Update Requests; map problems reported by Waze users)
- MPs (automatically generated Map Problems)
They show where the map needs work. We must solve them to fix the map. URs also give us a way to contact our fellow Wazers, who may become interested in editing.
Other reports on the map are Place Update Requests (PURs), which are covered on the page about Places in the Global Wiki.
Bugs and limitations
Although we think Waze gives the best possibilities for navigation, it knows some problems and limitations as well. Specific for Pakistan are the following:
- The map needs to be improved
- Due to the status of the road network and the yet small community, the map in Pakistan is not of high quality everywhere. However, the current editing community is working hard to improve the map. You help already by driving with Waze on! And if you are in for an adventure, you might add new roads to the map, or even become a Waze Map Editor.
- Long distance routing
- Setting a route over long distances puts a lot of weight on the servers. Depending on the map quality, you can expect routes up to any distance. At this moment, maximum route length will often be less in Pakistan*. If you request a route and the calculation time is too long, you'll receive an error saying "Routing server timeout" or "no route found". We recommend breaking up longer routes into several segments by choosing intermediate destinations.
- * Note that we are currently upgrading the road network to get better and longer routes!
- Known issues in the current app version are listed on the support pages
Wishing you fun and happy travels with Waze in Pakistan!