The Complete Guide to Waze in the Philippines
Welcome, Pinoy Wazer! If you are reading this then you probably want to learn more about how to use Waze or edit the Waze map. This may be because you want to add a new road or have found a map issue and want to contribute to the Waze community. You have come to the right place!
Read up on the global standards and guidelines referred to here as well as our own guide for editing the Philippine roads before attempting to edit the maps.
Waze is a free navigation app for your GPS equipped smartphone. It has the following features:
- Spoken turn-by-turn directions
- Spoken street names (Text-to-Speech) [a]
- Real time traffic reports
- Real time Gas Prices [b]
- Toll road avoidance [b]
- Free regular updates to the map that you can help make are installed automatically
- Search for destinations how you like: entire address at once, category, place name, landmark or use the addresses from your contacts
- Integrated destination search: Google, Foursquare, Bing
- Support for apps to insert destinations into Waze, such as Localscope
- Support for multiple languages
- Gaming elements for fun and integrated social networking
Read more about the amazing way Waze gets better when you just drive around with Waze turned on
- Read the topics on Waze Help Center
- Get help when you have Waze running but the map shows few or no roads, or streets with no names, or you travel to an unmapped area
- Understand the timing of updates, including when you can edit roads you have driven on
- Use the My Dashboard section on the Waze website
- Read the answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and the glossary of terms
- Participate in the announcements and discussion forums
If you have problems, try and find your own solution or ask the community for help:
- Use the Wiki - there is a search box just to the left
- Use the Discussion Forums
If all else fails, you can email Waze with your problem
Philippine Waze Community
The Philippine community of Waze editors is a close-knit group and are constantly in communication. All editors who wish to edit in the Philippines are required to join the community, whether on Facebook, Telegram, or on the forums. Those who refuse to join have no chance to become a trusted editor. The Facebook group is where all Waze users are welcome to share Waze- and traffic-related information. The primary means of communication of the Pinoy editors, however, is Telegram.
- Self-management statement
- Champs and AMs Meet the PH Global and Local Champs and the Area Managers
- MapRaid History Statistics on MapRaids conducted in the Philippines
- Waze Philippines Facebook Page
- Philippines - Waze Forum
- Philippine Waze Users Facebook Group
- Philippine Waze Users Twitter
- [tg://join?invite=AuGgzD-Od3SNAztluS9EUA Philippine Wazers' Telegram chat group]
New to Editing? Start Here
We will be updating this section with local specific policies, but whilst it is under construction please review these other links for now:
- Waze Map Editor Manual
- Edits to avoid - REQUIRED READING FOR ALL EDITORS, ESPECIALLY NEWBIES (Note that this is for the USA but most are applicable to Waze Philippines as well)
- Best map editing practice
Editing Guidelines for the Philippines
- Editing resources Specific guidelines for editing in the Philippines, tailored to our roads and driving habits
- Road Editing
- Places Policy Guidelines for editing places and handling Place Update Requests
- Place Harmonization Standards for place categories, types, and naming.
- Update Requests What to do with Update Requests (URs)
- Speedlimit Speed limits in accordance with REPUBLIC ACT No. 4136 Chapter IV Article 1 (Section 35) Restriction as to speed.
- Locking Why are segments and places locked?
- Other Questions and Tips Other Questions and Tips for the Pinoy Waze Editor
External Editing Resources for the Philippines
- Waze Philippines Editor Mentoring Program - If you would like to learn more about editing, you can enter the editing mentoring program where a senior editor will guide you and help you learn how to edit properly.
- Philippine Waze area-management request form - If you are confident enough with your editing skills and you have met the requirements listed in the Philippines Area Managers section, you can apply to be an Area Manager in the Philippines using this form. We will send you an email regarding the next steps. If we don't hear from you within a week from our email, we will assume that you are no longer pursuing your application.
- Philippine Tollways - Here is a complete list of tollways in the Philippines on Wikipedia.
- Philippine Highways - Another list which contains Major Highways, Tollways and expressways, Manila Arterial Road System as well as notable provincial highways and bridges on Wikipedia.