(Redirected from Area manager)
The specific details of the Area Manager role are currently under review within the Waze community. Some of the information below is currently out of date. Please review the forums for more information. Once the role changes are finalized, this section will be updated as required.
An Area Manager, AM for short, is a Waze community member (a user) who wishes to take an active and proactive role in maintaining specific areas of the Waze map. How deeply involved and how much time an Area Manager spends maintaining the Waze map varies greatly. Duties of an Area Manager include, but not necessarily limited to:
- Respond to and correct user update requests on the Update Requests layer.
- Process and resolve map errors/problems as shown on the Map Problems layer.
- Make changes to the map when road construction projects start and finish by maintaining new geometry, adding or deleting roads and disconnecting and re-connecting ramps.
- Maintain speed and red-light cameras, processing reports of devices from Waze drivers.
- Act as a mentor to other editors, offering advice in both the forums and when you see improper edits on the map.
How to Become an Area Manager
The position of Area Manager is by appointment. To become an area manager, you must meet the prerequisites and then submit your application.
Prospective Area Managers should already...
- have at least a few months of experience editing the Waze maps regularly.
- have read and followed the guidelines for mapping found in the wiki, starting at the Waze Map Editing page.
- have completed at least 5000 quality edits.
- have a real Waze username which does not start with usa_ or world_.
- have forum PMs enabled and associated with a valid and verifiable email address.
- be active in the Waze forums, asking questions, and even providing guidance for newer editors, if possible.
Note that Area Manager appointments automatically expire after 90 days of inactivity.
Before applying to become an AM, you will be expected to have read the following wiki pages and forums.
- Map Editing Quick-start Guide
- Best map editing practice
- Map Editing Tips and Hints
- Waze Map Editor and all the Editing manual links therein
Be sure to also find and read the editing guidelines specific to your country.
You should also read these two forums and know where the Unlock Request is located
Area Manager application process
Identifying your area
Before you head off to submit your application for AM, use the Waze Map Editor, position the map and set the zoom level to show the area you want to manage. Make a Permalink of the area and copy the address from the address bar in your browser.
Area Manager territory
- More than one Area Manager can manage the same area.
- Areas can overlap, be smaller or larger.
- You can also be the AM for more than one area. Notice the green area of the map has four managers.
If you would like to become an Area Manager, or expand your existing area, you will need to complete the appropriate application form for your country. The following countries have a self management system and requests will be approved by Country Managers or Regional Coordinators.
Please go to the relevant country forum to find the appropriate application form:
- Belgium / The Netherlands / Luxembourg
- Costa Rica
- Czech republic & Slovakia
- Germany / Austria / Switzerland
- Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
For all other countries, AM requests should be submitted via this form and will be handled directly by Waze support.