(Redirected from KS)
This page serves as the primary resource for editors of Kansas. Review all the sections to better understand how the guidelines for this state might deviate from the overall USA or worldwide guidelines. If you have any comments or questions about this page or state refer to the community links below.
No general message at this time.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Mapping resources
- 3 Community
- 4 Cities and towns
- 5 Major roads
- 6 Special roads
- 7 Speed Limits
- 8 Closures
- 9 Places
- 10 Cameras
- 11 To do list
- 12 Area Managers
- 13 Other states and territories
- 14 About this page
Kansas is a part of the Plains region, which includes the states and/or territories of:
Before editing the maps in Kansas, be sure to fully review and understand the editing manual.
The Waze user community follows the Waze etiquette guidelines discussed in the Wiki. Be sure to familiarize yourself with these guiding principals while editing the maps and this Wiki, as well as when communicating with other Waze users.
- KSDOT FC PDF maps by urban area (more accurate and up-to-date than county maps)
- KSDOT FC PDF maps by county
- KSDOT FC ArcGIS map of county level roads
- County graphic index to quarter inch scale (good for road names and surfaces), half inch scale, and fc maps
GIS by County
- Anderson, Atchison, Barton, Chatauqua, Clay, Crawford, Doniphan, Elk, Jefferson, Jewell, Kingman, Marion, McPherson, Montgomery, Saline, Sedgewick and Wabaunsee Counties
- Butler County Cities of Andover, Augusta, Douglass, El Dorado, Rose Hill, Towanda
- Cherokee County Cities of Baxter Springs, Columbus, Galena
- Cowley County Cities of Arkansas City, Winfield
- Dickinson County Cities of Abilene, Carlton, Chapman, Enterprise, Herington, Hope, Manchester, Solomon (partial), Woodbine
- Doniphan County Cities of Elwoood, Wathena, Troy
- Douglas County Cities of Baldwin City, Eudora, Lawrence, Lecompton
- Ellis County Cities of Ellis, Hays, Victoria
- Finney County Cities of Garden City, Holcomb
- Geary County Cities of Fort Riley (partial), Grandview Plaza, Junction City, Milford
- Jackson County City of Holton
- Johnson County Cities of De Soto, Edgerton, Fairway, Gardner, Lake Quivira, Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Mission Hills, Mission Woods, Olathe, Overland Park, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Westwood, Westwood Hills
- Lane County Cities of Dighton
- Leavenworth County Cities of Basehor, Easton, Lansing, Leavenworth, Linwood, Tonganoxie
- Lyon County City of Emporia
- Miami County Cities of Louisburg, Osawatomie, Paola, Spring Hill
- Pottawatomie County Cities of Manhattan, St. Marys, Wamego
- Reno County Cities of Buhler, Haven, Hutchinson, Nickerson, South Hutchinson
- Riley County Cities of Fort Riley (partial), Leonardville, Manhattan, Ogden, Randolph, Riley
- Sedgwick County Cities of Bel Aire, Cheney, Clearwater, Colwich, Derby, Goddard, Haysville, Kechi, Maize, Mulvane, Park City, Sedgwick, Valley Center, Wichita
- Shawnee County Cities of Auburn, Rossville, Silver Lake, Topeka
- Wilson County Cities of Fredonia, Neodesha
- Wyandotte County Cities of Bonner Springs, Edwardsville, Kansas City
- USGS National Map Viewer (sometimes quite out of date)
- 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey Maps from the US Census Bureau
See Kansas/Resources for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
The Waze forum is a great place to find answers to previously asked questions and also a place to ask new ones. Below are links to the forums specific to Kansas.
- Kansas section of Waze forum
- The Plains region forum
- The USA section of Waze Forum
- The USA segment unlock requests
New editors should consider checking into the formal mentoring program available at no charge.
Kansas Map Editors Hangout
We have a free Discord server available for all those editing in Kansas. Editors can discuss issues and ideas from around the state, seek input from fellow editors, get unlocks for road segments locked above your level, etc. If you would like to join, click this link: PLN Discord Server
Cities and towns
One of the most common errors when editing the maps is when an editor creates a road and does not confirm the road by setting the city and road name (or stating it has none).
Some states and territories manage a separate page on cities and towns to identify the specific city names that should be entered, and no others. For states that do not have a separate page to track the names, see this Wikipedia link and find the state or territory in question.
State Highway Naming
Kansas highways are named as K-### (e.g. K-7, K-7 N). This includes their related business, loops, and spurs. (e.g. K-7 BUS) This shortened version takes up less space on the map screen and is announced correctly as "Kansas Highway ###" while navigating with the Waze app.
County Road Naming
County roads with the name designation of "County Road ###" are named as CR-### (e.g. CR-110). This shortened version takes up less space on the map screen and is announced correctly as "County Road ###" while navigating with the Waze app.
Kansas uses the Functional Classification rules outlined in the Road types page
The table below shows a cross reference for the minimum road types in Kansas. Keep in mind that these are only minimums, and may need to be upgraded based on the qualities defined on the road type guidelines page.
|KDOT Classification||Waze Road Type|
**Kansas numbered state highways should be set to a minimum of Minor Highway.**
Kansas uses lock levels common among the USA/Plains region.
In Kansas we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
|Highest rank of connected segments|
Kansas follows the standard USA guidelines for all of the following special road types.
- Divided highways and roadways
- Carpool, HOV, transit lanes
- Roundabouts and traffic circles
- Dead ends and culs-de-sac
- Toll roads
- Partial and scheduled restrictions
- Private installations and military bases
Review the Wiki guidelines for non-drivable roads to ensure compliance with the general guidelines.
|We have special rules which enhance and modify the general map guidelines provided by Waze. We ask that when editing in Kansas you follow these rules for special road types.|
Unpaved and Dirt Roads
In many Kansas counties, the Off-road / Not Maintained Road type should apply only to roads that are truly dirt/low-maintenance. Well-maintained gravel roads should NOT be set as the “Off-road / Not Maintained” type. They should be at least Street type and potentially as high as Primary Street status. The reason some of these gravel roads qualify for Primary Street status is based upon their functional classification designation. These roads may be gravel, but they are intended as main routes between towns (especially in rural areas) and are often wider and more frequently maintained. However, any drivable road which is not paved with asphalt, tar-and-chip, or concrete should have the Unpaved checkbox applied so the routing server can respect user navigation preferences.
Alleys are to be mapped since they are sometimes required to access parking lots, businesses, and residences. Alleys are to be the parking lot road type and the name should be set to "Alley."
Following the spirit of mapping all drivable surfaces, parking lot roads are to be mapped in Kansas. Please follow the parking lot general guidelines and use discretion to provide functionality without overcrowding the map.
Rural driveways in KS should frequently be mapped (as Parking Lot Roads), even if shorter than the general Driveways recommendation of 50 meters. Drivers will often be travelling at a high speed, and an upcoming turn provides advanced warning of their destination. Driveways also serve as useful navigation landmarks on otherwise featureless rural roads, especially during night time navigation. If they are not mapped, a Wazer driving on one may be mistakenly snapped to a nearby road and interfere with the speed data or provide confusing directions.
If the addresses for properties on the driveway are known, delete the relevant House Numbers and add Residential Place Points (RPPs).
- The RPP must be complete including the address number, street name, city name, and entry/exit point as noted in the Things to remember section of the HN page under the If the correct stop point for a house/business is on a different road than its address road bullet point.
- Ensure the entry/exit point is placed clearly to one side of the road segment, not on top of the road segment.
Urban driveways do not qualify for mapping in most circumstances unless they meet certain route-aiding criteria as defined in the national standards for Driveways.
Kansas primarily follows the USA Speed limits page with some clarifications
Ramp Speed Limits
For ramps that are for accelerating to a road with a higher speed limit, use the higher speed limit of the destination road that the ramp goes to.
For ramps that go from a higher speed limit to a lower speed limit such as a freeway off ramp, do not place any speed limit on the ramp.
For ramps where the start and end have the same speed limit, keep the same speed limit on the ramp.
Do not use advisory speed limits that are black text on yellow signs.
Other Kansas Specific Speed Limit details
Kansas Rural Highway Speed Limits 
The KS state laws for default unposted speed limits statewide are:
- Residential Areas 30 mph
- Two-lane paved highways 55 mph
- Improved two-lane highways 65 mph
- Some improved highways in rural areas 70 mph
- Kansas Turnpike, unless otherwise posted 75 mph and 40 mph minimum
- Rural segments of freeway 75 mph with 40 mph minimum
Check with your Area or State Managers for clarification if needed.
- KSDOT 511 KS DOT closure & road information
- Douglas County
- Johnson County
- City of McPherson
- Overland Park
- Shanwee County
- City of Wichita
- Wyandotte County
See Kansas/Closures for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
Hospitals / Urgent Care
Only Hospitals, Emergency Rooms, and Urgent Care Facilities should use the Hospital / Medical Center category. This category is to be used for places offering urgent / emergency care. Other medical facilities such as clinics and medical offices which do not offer urgent medical care for walk-ins should be categorized as Office. Hospitals should be mapped as an Area Place encompassing the entire medical facility. Additionally, hospital Emergency Room entrances should be mapped as a Point Place at the ER entrance to aid in navigating to the proper entrance.
In the Plains region, stations are named as Station Name (Brand). If the station brand is unknown, then Station Name. If the station name and brand are the same, then Brand. For example:
|MinitMart (Shell)||[Store Name (Brand)]|
|Joe's Gas & Tackle||[Store Name with no Brand]|
|QuikTrip||[Store Name & Brand are the same]|
Places Minimum Acceptable Information
All Places added to the map must contain the following entries:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
This is the minimum acceptable amount of information for inclusion on the map.
Places Locking Standard
|Place Type||Lock Level|
|Military Installation / Airport||4|
|Hospitals / Urgent Care / Police & Fire Dept||4|
|National & State Parks and Monuments||4|
|Gas Stations / Charging Stations||3|
|Schools / Universities / Colleges||3|
|Government Buildings / Consulates||3|
|City and Local Parks||3|
|All other places with complete information||3|
- Complete information includes at a minimum:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address/City (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
- Hours of operation (if available)
- Phone number
- These locks are in place to prevent loss of data due to automatic acceptance of Place Update submissions from Trusted Users, or Place Update Request approvals from other editors without careful examination.
- If you do not have a high enough enough rank to lock the place as indicated, please lock it as high as you can, and notify a higher rank AM, SM, CM, or Champ to lock it higher.
Not every camera-looking device at an intersection is a speed or red light camera. Generally speaking:
Be sure to know your cameras before accepting new camera reports.
When adding a camera, be sure to review the camera placement recommendations.
Laws regarding speed and red light cameras vary between the states and territories, so be sure to understand the details of camera legality in Kansas.
Based on information researched at the time this page was created, Kansas does not have any laws regarding red light or speed cameras, therefore they may be present in the state.
No other camera types should be mapped in Waze.
DrivingLaws.org reference for KS (not official).
To do list
Many states and territories keep an active list of pending or closed actions that need to be done in the state by the editors. All editors are welcome to contribute to the list of activities.
Urban Area Functional Classification
|Urban Area||First Pass Editor||Check Editor|
|Arkansas City||gunnargsd||not started|
|Baxter Springs||gunnargsd||not started|
|Dodge City||starkreiten||not started|
|El Dorado||MPaxx||not started|
|Emporia||not started||not started|
|Eudora||not started||not started|
|Fort Scott||gunnargsd||not started|
|Garden City||starkreiten||not started|
|Great Bend||bundlegut||not started|
|Junction City||autenil||not started|
|Kansas City||autenil||not started|
|Lawrence||not started||not started|
|Liberal||not started||not started|
|Ottawa||not started||not started|
|Parsons||not started||not started|
|Pittsburg||not started||not started|
|Pratt||not started||not started|
|Topeka||not started||not started|
|Wellington||not started||not started|
See Kansas/To do for guidance in Kansas that may not be universal to all other states and territories.
The table below identifies the editors also designated as Area Managers or higher who are editing in Kansas. If you have any questions, please consider contacting them directly as needed. If you are an Area Manager that covers Kansas, or a USA Country Manager that does a lot of work in Kansas, please add yourself to this list (alphabetical by username) in the correct rank section.
The editor who also serves as the Regional Coordinator for Kansas is automatically listed at the top of the table. That editor may not be highly active in this state and therefore may not be listed separately in the table.
|Kansas — Area, State, Country Managers, and Regional Coordinators|
[RC] bretmcvey ( )
[ARC1] ehepner1977 ( )
[ARC2] SunnyRaynbows ( )
|Country Managers (Plains region)|
|bretmcvey(6) [ ]||Countrywide|
Based in Omaha, NE
|TheChrisK(6) [ ]||Countrywide|
Based in Omaha, NE
|SunnyRaynbows(6) [ ]||Countrywide|
Based in Chicago area
|State Managers (Plains region)|
|nimper2000(5) [ ]||Statewide|
Based in Topeka
|State Managers - Emeritus|
|bundlegut(5) [ ]||Statewide|
Based in Wichita
|KC-Guardrail(5) [ ]||Statewide|
Based in Bonner Springs
|autenil(4) [ ]||Statewide|
Former resident of state, now in SoCal
|TKinneys(4) [ ]||Topeka|
Based in Topeka
|Area Managers |
|DaveKS14(5) [ ]||Plains Region|
LAM PLN, Central OH & Belize
|Kjg53(5) [ ]||SW and E Kansas|
Resident of Texas
|LennyNRPD(5) [ ]||Statewide MSM|
MAR MSM, NJ AM
|mhh60(5) [ ]||Sedgwick County|
SM in NM, PM in ON, AM in GU, MP, AK & PR
|westjacksonfd(5) [ ]||NW Kansas|
Resident of Georgia
|eaglestailg8ter(4) [ ]||KC Metro|
Based in PA, lived in KC Metro
|MFCoolCool(4) [ ]||Kansas City Metro||All of Kansas also|
|DrHenryJonesSr(3) [ ]||E Kansas|
Resident of Georgia
|Mythdraug(3) [ ]||far SE Kansas|
|Squint588(4) [ ]||Wichita Area|
Resident of Kansas
|vagabond_8_1(3) [ ]||E Kansas|
Based in Manhattan
|Mikepedia(3) [ ]||Central Texas & Eastern Kansas|
Based in San Antonio, TX
Other states and territories
The other states and territories of the USA can be found in the navigation box below. Press the "show" button to open the box.
About this page