The items on this page should be used as the standard for the region unless specified in a state-level sub-page to ensure regional unity and consistency. See the Mid Atlantic Forum for more information. Questions should be addressed to the Mid Atlantic Regional Coordinator or the State Managers. We are always looking for editors, and have fun learning in the process.
This page is maintained by the MAR Leadership. Please coordinate any changes in advance.
Mid-Atlantic Region Multi-State Manager (MAR MSM)
The Mid-Atlantic Region Multi-State Manager (MAR MSM) role extends editing permissions to the entire Mid-Atlantic Region.
Roles & Responsibilities
For states outside their ‘home state’, MAR MSM responsibilities are toː
- provide assistance and coverage for other SMs in MAR when timely assistance is needed and a state SM or pertinent LAM/AM is unavailable. This may include (but is not limited to):
- Resolving Unlock/Update/Closure requests in a timely manner;
- Working with local editors on large editing projects such as basemap, place harmonization lists, speed limits, lanes, etc; and
- Performing community functions such as informal mentoring and new editor outreach.
- follow all state standards, but free to edit in the area similar to driving EA or CM privileges;
- when appropriate, provide input on local guidance, but the MAR MSM must not set policy for other states; the local state SM(s) has final authority on state policy in consultation with RCs; and
- in the event that an SM is on an extended leave of absence, the RC may designate a MAR MSM to assist the remaining local SMs in routine operations.
Editors eligible for receiving MAR MSM shall meet the following criteria:
- State Manager of a MAR state for minimum of 3 months
- Rank 5 editor
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Active in the community, forums, and editing
- Regional Coordinator (RC)/Assistant Regional Coordinator (ARC) approval
Mid-Atlantic Region Large Area Managers (MAR-LAM)
Mid-Atlantic Region Large Area Managers (MAR-LAM) help manage large sections of a state working with the local Area Managers. You can also reach out to them for assistance.
A map of the MAR-LAM regions is below.
- MAR-LAMs are simplified areas. This may cause coverage into surrounding states. MAR-LAM's are expected to get permission from that other state's SM if they wish to edit in an area outside of their MAR-LAM state.
- As a rough rule of thumb, it is typical to grant MAR-LAM areas measured in thousands of square miles.
- There can be more than one MAR-LAM for each region.
- Abbreviation: MAR-LAM
- Responsibilities: As the name suggests, MAR-LAMs manage a much larger portion of the map than AMs.
- Establish Baseline
- Update segments with unknown direction/clearly-incorrect names (segments from initial basemap import are very common in rural portions of the region even to this day)
- Implement proper Road type selection for all updated segments based on national guidance
- Ensure all updated segments are locked to minimum lock level appropriate for their segment type
- Regular Upkeep
- UR/MP Management: perform frequent, regular User Report/Map Problem passes over their entire area in accordance with the MAR UR Policy
- Unlock/Update forum response: monitor Unlock/Update requests for any requests in their MAR-LAM that are posted in the forum, Discord, GHO, WME Chat, or PM; service directly or escalate if needed
- Construction/Closures: responsible for staying current on all major construction projects, ensuring realtime closures are entered into the system as needed.
- Mentoring/outreach: proactively seek out new editors and encourage them to join the community, stay in regular contact with existing editors who work within their zone and work to help them improve/expand skillsets and knowledge bases
- Rapid Reponse: lead the response coordination effort for traffic disruptions in their zones (examples, freeway closure due to major accident, weather events (major snow storm or hurricane), planned events (marathons or parades)
- MAR-LAM should maintain activity on the map and in the community on a weekly basis, and preferably a daily basis
- Establish Baseline
It is requested that a MAR-LAM who will be away from map editing activities for more than two (2) weeks please notify the State Managers by private message (PM). This is simply to ensure, if needed, that any adjustments can be made for handling update requests or other activities.
MAR LAM Application Process
- Editor must be an active MAR Area Manager for a polygon larger than PL at Zoom=0 for a minimum of 45 days
- Editor must be an experienced Rank 3 or higher
- Editor should be an active and effective communicator to other editors via forums, Discord, GHO, and/or Private Messages.
If you're already a MAR Area Manager and you're interested in becoming a MAR-LAM, please contact your State Managers and discuss possibilities and MAR-LAM areas.