Abbreviations and acronyms
|This page is being developed for use with the Jane voice in the USA, it is also applicable to any country where the new TTS voices are in use. A few of the listed abbreviations are specific to the USA, but most will work in any country with english voice.|
|This new page is currently undergoing modifications. The information and guidance is currently considered accurate enough to be followed now. Content is being prepared by one or more users. Do not make any changes before you send a private message to this user.|
Waze convention is to use suffix abbreviations in street names. ("Main Rd" instead of "Main Road").
- Abbreviate only suffixes (except as indicated below).
- "The Avenue", "The Green", etc. should not be abbreviated.
- "Circuit Avenue Road" is abbreviated "Circuit Avenue Rd", not "Cct Ave Rd".
- A road named "Service Road" should not be abbreviated, while "Pipeline Service Road" should be (as "Pipeline Service Rd").
- Prefixes should be abbreviated only when they appear abbreviated on signage.
- If the signage says "Ave A", then it should be "Ave A" in Waze.
- If the signage says "Avenue A", then it should say "Avenue A" in Waze.
- Suffix abbreviations do not contain any punctuation, such as "
." (Full-stops) or "
- In the event that the original suffix is a plural (ends in s) and only its singular form is present as an abbreviation, simply adding an "s" to the end of the abbreviation may or may not work as expected unless specified below.
- When the letters N, S, E, or W should NOT be pronounced as compass cardinal directions, the letter should be followed with a
- George W. Bush Blvd
- West W. Lee Ave
- If the cardinal letter is part of a larger name, (when it is not alone) it does not require any modification at all.
- CR-N will be read as County Road en.
- Numbered street names which appear on signs as digits should be followed with an ordinal.
- 8 Ave. should be written as
8th Avein Waze.
- East 207 St. should be written as
E 207th Stin Waze.
- 8 Ave. should be written as
The abbreviations and acronyms in this following table have been tested and are recommended to be used wherever applicable in Waze. The only exceptions to their usage should be when the big green sign (BGS) uses a different abbreviation, and the abbreviation used on the BGS is supported by the TTS engine.
|This list is not yet complete, there are other recommended abbreviations from the main Abbreviations and acronyms page which do work, but have not yet been added to this list. They will be added soon.|
NOTE: Pay special attention to any punctuation in the abbreviation column. These abbreviations are case sensitive, and require any punctuation shown to be used in order for them to work.
Other countries may have differing guidance; refer to the main Abbreviations & acronyms article to see a list the country-specific pages for any local guidance.
| Use the following forum thread for discussions and requests related to TTS and abbreviations or acronyms.
Forum Thread: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients
Some names and words are not pronounced properly by the TTS engine, in these cases we can work to fix them. These should be reported via the forum linked above. Once they are reported the TTS team will review them, and work on finding a proper solution. All the names which have been reported to have their pronunciation fixed will be added to a working spreadsheet for tracking.
Refer to the Glossary page for definitions of many terms used in Waze.