House Numbers in the Editor
House Numbers Overview
Waze keeps their own internal database of addresses, or what is called House Numbers. These addresses are used only when a specific address is searched from the Map Editor or Waze app. House Numbers are independent from any other address or mapping provider.
House Numbers are points on the map and can be adjusted at a fine level of detail to ensure Wazers are properly directed to the correct location for that address. It is therefore important to pay attention to all details regarding house numbers to ensure proper routing.
Things to Remember (caveats)
- House numbers are editable only at the 100m/200ft zoom level and lower.
- House numbers cannot be added to segments without a name.
- House numbers cannot contain anything except numbers.
- A segment cannot have its name removed if there are house numbers attached to it.
Modifying House Numbers
To edit, update or delete house numbers on a street, start by selecting the segment you wish to update. Then click on the Edit House Numbers button or tap the H keyboard shortcut.
The lighted area around the road is the default distance that house numbers are allowed from the street. If a house number must be located beyond that distance, you will need to Force the house number into place. More on that later.
House Numbers Toolbar
When the House Numbers interface is activated, a new toolbar appears with the standard complement of action buttons specific to working with house numbers.
The two images to the right show what a house number looks like in the editor. Which one is used depends on the density of house numbers and how WME determines the marker should be flipped for best visibility and handling.
- The red "X" is the delete button.
- The blue dot on the other side is the drag handle
- To Edit a house number, click in the number and enter a new number.
- To Move a house number, click in the number, and then click and drag using the blue dot handle.
- To Delete a house number, click in the number, and then click the red X.
To add a house number, click the Add button on the toolbar. Click on the location of the house or business address. Enter the house number.
When moving a house number or adding one, you will see a dashed white line (with aerials enabled) leading to a white dot on the road you selected. This white dot is the Stop Point for navigation to that house number. It can be moved anywhere on the named segment for that address. It cannot be moved to any other segment.
Before you tap Esc on the keyboard or click Close, remember to Save your changes.
Forcing House numbers can be located beyond the normal allowed distance from the street, but when saving, you will be prompted to confirm forcing the house number(s) into place. If you have more than one which requires forcing, only one confirmation will force them all. So be sure you are confident that all are correctly located.