Formal Mentoring in the USA is a one-on-one interaction between a Mentee and Mentor with specific objectives of increasing skill, editor level, and Waze Community participation. It entails a specific Mentee-Mentor pair who agree upon an objective, start, and end, this process needs a bit more coordination. It also requires commitment from both the Mentee and Mentor to complete the objective. Mentoring could last a week to months - the Mentee and Mentor decide.
Some benefits of participating in Formal Mentoring include:
For the Mentee;
- Learning the Waze environment and network of people more quickly.
- Having trusted individuals to ask questions (without fear of asking a 'dumb' question).
- Access to a trusted “sounding board” for your ideas and actions to share in confidence.
- Possibility to “act above your rank” during the mentorship, in order to learn skills appropriate to the next rank up.
- Potential accelerated rank and access as an Area Manager or Country Manager.
(note: Formal Mentoring does NOT guarantee any promotion and all promotions are decided by the Regional Coordinators.) For the Mentor
- Increased contribution to the Waze community by leveraging your knowledge.
- Better insight into broader ideas affecting Waze, increased network of contacts.
- Improved self-awareness and skill development.
- By building up other members towards your own level, you reduce the long-term burden on yourself in managing your areas
- Mentors learn from Mentees!
If you want to be a Mentee
There are four basic steps to the mentoring program listed here. These steps are expounded on in more detail in the Formal Mentoring Guidelines (USA) page.
- Be sure you have already read, understand, and accept the guidelines, and commitment required as outlined in the Formal Mentoring Guidelines (USA), General Mentoring forum, and the USA specific Formal Mentoring forum. This is required to prevent false expectations, and frustration from both sides of this relationship.
- Please fill out this Formal Mentoring Application Form
- Work with that Mentor to reach an agreement.
- If the Mentor is a match - Begin and complete mentoring.
- If the Mentor is not a match - Request assistance in terminating the mentorship as peacefully as possible; you may try again with a different Mentor.
- Complete the mentorship.
|Please keep in mind, the Formal Mentoring program is still in its infancy, and the number of Mentors is limited. Mentors will be provided based on availability, and the order the requests came in. This may result in a delay from when you apply, until you are assigned a mentor. This is to ensure each Mentee receives the full attention they deserve. When your turn, comes you will receive the same undivided attention as those who came before you.|
If you want to be a Mentor
- Read and agree to the Formal mentor training
- Request to be granted the Mentor role (form under development, post in the forum for now)
After you receive sponsorship by a Waze Champ to be granted Mentor status.
- Suggest those to whom you'd like to Mentor.
- Survey the pool of Mentee requests and volunteer to help.
|Some additional information and discussion are held in the Formal Mentoring Forum (USA)|
Formal mentoring managers
Those editors responsible for managing, developing, and growing the Formal Mentoring program in the USA are listed here. Contact them if you have ideas, issues, or questions about the program.
All the Mentoring program pages are linked in the box below. New pages can be added to this list by clicking here.