MapRaid is a time-limited event where map editors join together to vastly improve the overall condition of their pre-determined area of the map. This time, it is the rural western Pennsylvania (PA) area! Please read the entire MapRaid wiki.
If you are not sure about anything, ask! Take this raid as a learning opportunity. The more you learn, and the more positive interaction you get with the senior editors, the better you can prepare yourself for a future rank upgrade or area expansion.
|You must be in MapRaid Discord to be able to edit in this MapRaid.|
Start: September 17th (Sunday 00:00 UTC)
End: September 25th (Monday 00:00 UTC)
Registration FORM: (Will be closed on: September 12th)
This mapraid is RESERVED to Rank1, Rank 2, and Rank 3 editors.
All LOCAL editors are welcome to join regardless of their ranks. If you are local, pick "I'm local to PA".
If you are a rank 4, 5 or 6 mentor, you are welcome to join and help with mentoring. Just choose: "I'm a Rank 4 Mentor", "I'm a Rank 5 Mentor" OR "I'm a Rank 6 Mentor".
- 1 Mapraid Host
- 2 Map Raid Area
- 3 Groups
- 4 Communication
- 5 MapRaid Goals
- 6 Guidance
- 7 Reference Links
- 8 Mapraid Edit Lists
- 9 Results
|orbitc(6) [ ]||Regional Coordinator|
Map Raid Area
Each raider will be asked to focus on the area for their group primarily but will be able to access other areas, if needed. It is highly recommended that all raiders install the Overlay script to keep track of where you are editing.
Here are links to each Discord group:
Here are links to each location in WME:
We will use Discord to communicate. There is a Pennsylvania Raid general channel and also a channel for each raid group. You must be in Discord to be able to edit in this MapRaid
WME chat can also be used. The WME Chat addon is recommended.
Improve the basemap. Read through the following slides to learn how.
- Improve routing and navigation within the designated area quickly
- Solve and respond to User Reports
- Updating pending Places (Place Update Requests)
Please follow all guidances of Pennsylvania, it has all of the specific details that you need to know before editing in PA.
Do Not Mass-Edit
Please DO NOT perform edits that affect large numbers of segments at once. We want to be able to see how URs and other problems got resolved. Those who cause issues by mass editing the map may be removed from the raid, blocked from future mapraids or possible ban from editing.
We will follow the usual US UR etiquette with one exception: we wait for only 4 days to remind URs and 4 days after the reminder to close the UR. Do not close URs if the UR contains [TAG], check with the editor who placed the tag.
In Pennsylvania we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
|Highest rank of connected segments|
Note: Do Not Mass Edit just to update locks to these standards, these can be adjusted as you find them while editing other aspects of the segments such as FC, speed limits, naming, etc.
Some segments still warrant higher locks and care should be taken when setting segment lock to these standards to look for and protect these special setups with higher locks. Some examples; segments which are part of BDP, U-turn prevention, or using micro-doglegs, or other complex intersection setups.
The rules in the places browser are accurate and up to date.
- New editor welcome page
- Waze Map Editor
- Best Map Editing Practice
- Editing manual
- Common editing mistakes
- How to make a Permalink
- All about using the WME Chat
- Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools where you'll links and descriptions to most of the editing scripts being used. Some of these are essential to good editing, and others make the editing process much easier. WME Validator, URO+, and WME Toolbox are highly recommended.
Recommended Tools for MapRaid
- UR Comments - a tremendous time and labor saving tool with automation and integration with URO+, to help with working URs. Read the documentation. Tampermonkey / greasemonkey required
- The WME Reference Sheet[PDF] is a printable double-sided tri-fold quick reference guide to some of the common topics used in WME.
- WME Magic is a plugin based framework to enhance editors, so they can be more productive.
- Chrome Installation Link -- Tampermonkey Required
- Other browsers are not supported
- WME Chat Addon is a script that improves the WME chat GUI. For a list of all the features check the thread here -- Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey required
For more information, please see Pennsylvania/Resources
|Cambria GIS and FC||3||4|
|Crawford parcel server||1|
|Fulton GIS - Requires Free Userid Here||3|
Mapraid Edit Lists
Spreadsheets and forms are being used to streamline management of various group efforts and track important edits. Below you can find links to use these these forms, sheets, and see the lists.
|Watch here for results of promotions during and after the raid.|