Revision as of 22:09, 5 January 2020 by Jm6087 (Added underline to "by the USPS" to hopefully show it is a link even after selecting it.)
| This article has a current ongoing forum thread in regards to Point vs Area. Please follow local or regional guidance on this until a consensus is made and this page is updated.
Area or Point Forum Thread
The post office category is used for places the USPS defines as post offices.
- Post office
- Use the post office category on a place only if the place is listed by the USPS as "Post Office", "Village Post Office", or "Contract Postal Unit". If it is not in the list, please consult regional or USA Places guidance for the correct category.
- Waze Mobile App (WMA) full searches for "post office" will find Waze places only if they have the post office category or have a Google link to a post office. Thus, it is important we limit the amount of places we add the post office category to. However, quick searches work via name matching, regardless of category, so it is important that the name contains "post office" (see below).
- Point or Area
- Refer to regional guidance (USA Standard: Point, some regions use Area)
- Stop point
- USA stop point guidance
- Naming by USPS designation
- USA :
- Post Office:
- Contract Postal Unit (CPU) :
- Village Post Office (VPO) :
- 1:^ New York City and Kentucky use a slightly altered guidance based on USA guidance (see below). Other areas may also use the NYC naming model, which adds the [ZIP] to the primary name as it is important to have the zip code listed in the search results in their area(s). If regional leadership choose to use the NYC naming model, they will be listed in this text.
- 2:^ ^ ^ Substitute [Station] with the official name of the station from USPS.
- 3:^ ^ ^ Substitute [ZIP] with ZIP code served by the post office. If it serves multiple, include alternate names for each.
- 4:^ ^ USPS usually denotes the station as a VPO (Village Post Office) or CPU (Contract Postal Unit) in the station name on their site, please make sure to include that in the name above, even if it isn't in the official station name, but is listed as one or the other. (Example: Post Office - CPU Fordham University)
- New York City model:
- Currently only used by NYC and Kentucky. Expand the text below for details.
- Include the first line as the city, state and ZIP code
- Example: Tulsa, OK 74101
- Phone number
- Direct phone number for location, if available.
- External source link
- Be sure to link the place any corresponding Google place(s).
- Consult your state or regional wiki page (see left sidebar)