|MapRaid! South Carolina has begun on 2015-06-21, Sunday. 00:00 UTC. The raid will last for roughly 7 days.|
|Registration for the MapRaid! is now closed. To hear about future MapRaids please join the MapRaid #Slack.|
- 1 Welcome to South Carolina!
- 2 Mission
- 3 Local Hosts
- 4 Important!
- 5 Local Guidance
- 6 Mapping Resources
- 7 Communication
- 8 Reference Links
- 9 Mapraid edit lists
- 10 Groups
Welcome to South Carolina!
Our primary mission is to fix what is broken as well as fine tune what is already working. This will be handled through a variety of methods:
- Handling URs, PURs, and MPs (and fixing already approved places)
- Fixing streets (correcting elevation, turns, extra nodes, alternate names, etc)
- Routing corrections (usually found in URs or by randomly attempting to route between points and looking for irregularities)
- FC errors (but do not downgrade without getting local guidance! See FC warning immediately below.) - FC will mostly be handled by rank 5/6 editors in this raid.
HavanaDay ( ) - South Atlantic RC/Champ
crazycaveman ( ) - South Carolina CM
ialangford ( ) - South Carolina SM
Please do not alter any of the following road types without first consulting a Local Host (unless changes are being made to match Functional Classification (FC)): Freeway, Ramp, Major Highway, minor Highway, Primary Street. You may edit these roads, but do not change the type of the segment (excluding FC work). Confirmation should be obtained before making changes to any of these road types that go against FC.
Please do not mass-edit Do not perform edits which will affect large numbers of segments at once. The edit history of segments is highly valuable in the process of solving URs. Mass editing effectively mass erases this history, permanently.
Anything locked at 5 or 6? Please check with a local editor before making changes.
If you are a rank 5 or 6 editor - consider keeping highlights active for locks 5 and 6.
Close nodes We make extensive use of the " micro-dogleg" technique, where a geometry node is carefully placed, at full zoom, directly next to a junction node, in order to set the angle to create a desired Turn/Stay/Exit prompt. Please watch for these if you move any junction node, and be sure to recreate the same angle at the new location.
In the United States, we set our road types using a national standard called Functional Classification (FC). You can read a detailed explanation in our Road Type Wiki
SC DOT functional classification classifies roads as
- An Interstate, Freeway, or Expressway is a .
- A Principal Arterial is a .
- A US Highway (US-##) classified as a Minor Arterial is a .
- A Minor Arterial is a .
- A State Highway (SC-##) classified as a Collector is a .
- A Major or Minor Collector is a .
- All other roads are to be classified as .
Road Locking Standard
In South Carolina we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
|Highest rank of connected segment|
Note: Certain areas may be locked higher than the above minimums. Please do not lower locks unless approved by the RC or SM of South Carolina.
UR & MP Guidance
Responding to Update Requests (URs), Place Update Requests (PURs), and Map Problems (MPs) will be the primary focus of the MapRaid teams. Please make sure to follow the guidance on dealing with URs, PURs, and MPs as they are clearly explained in the UR wiki page. Be especially careful to always leave a comment when closing a UR to explain why you are closing it, or how you fixed it. If there is no problem with the map to fix, don't mark it as solved, mark it as "Not Identified".
Our only variation for the MapRaid from the general guidance on handling URs, is that we are reducing the 7 day wait periods to 4 days. If you need to ask the reporter a question, you still must comment and wait 4 days, then if no response, put another comment as to why you are closing the UR before closing as "Not Identified". If you are able to fully diagnose and fix the problem, then comment what the fix was, and close it as "Solved".
We will not be sending reminder comments after the 4 days. We send one comment asking for info, if there is no response after 4 days, close the UR. Please try to solve the UR, if that's not possible mark it as Not Identified. (We should still be sending a closing comment before closing, and it's OK to send follow up comments if you need additional information after the first response.)
Please keep UR response comments to a minimum, short and to the point. Aim for no more than 3-4 lines total. The UrComments script already has a long list of canned UR responses which have been vetted by a group of senior editors.
|If a UR is a [NOTE] or [CONSTRUCTION] type, do not close this UR unless you are the reporter.|
Places from both editors and trusted users have become a major issue. Misspelled names, wrong categories, missing addresses (EVERY business place should have an address!!), poor location, and incorrectly assigned photos are all over the map. Use the powerful Place Browser (link below) and the information on the Place editing section of the Southeast wiki to get these places corrected.
The following exceptions to the national guidance are NOT mapped in SC:
- water (if a major body of water that is missing from the map, ask the RC or an SM)
- toll plazas
For Place Harmonization, please click here!
Please use good judgement when approving photos. Any photo which has nothing to do with the actual place, reject. This is including, but not limited to body parts, car parts, bathrooms, children, & animals. If you're not sure, please ask one of the senior editors.
Gas Stations should be locked to level 3 but, only after all data fields in the gas station have been filled. At least ensure that Brand, Name and Address have information. Remember to ask a local host if you need help identifying gas station information.
For editors below rank 3, once you have completely filled out a gas station with the minimum required information, please lock to your level and then ask for a lock request.
Finally, DO NOT USE THE BRAND "UNBRANDED". If it is a no brand gas station, just leave the brand field blank.
Places Locking Standard
- Lock at rank 5: hospitals, universities, park and ride lots, arenas, airports.
- Lock at 3: any other place that has at least a correct category, correct name, and correct address with house number..
- If you cannot lock high enough because of rank, lock as high as you can, and get help from a higher-ranked editor to lock properly. You can keep a personal list of Permalinks to share with the other editor.
All toll roads in South Carolina are properly marked. DO NOT enable/disable the toll road checkbox on any road that is a Major Highway or Freeway without checking with one of the local hosts.
There may be some roads which are not on the editor, so if you see a missing road, see if there is an actual neighborhood by turning on the GPS tracks. There are always a large number of major construction projects in process. These construction projects can cause frequent intermittent road closures. Many closures change daily and cause great numbers of URs to appear. When handling URs in one of these areas, be aware that reports of "Turn not allowed", "Missing road", "Wrong driving direction" are common, but may not indicate a map problem that can be fixed, because the physical road situation will change before our edits can take effect.
In South Carolina, U-turns are allowed unless specifically denied by signage. In general we can confirm, lock or "harden" U-turns (click to remove the Purple question mark indicating a soft turn -- see the Wiki).
Special Road Types
All your questions can be answered here concerning Alleys, Non-driveable, Emergency/DOT, Ferries, and Railroads: Special Roads
Speed and red light cameras are illegal in South Carolina; do not approve any and remove any that have been approved.
Gated Neighborhoods - South Carolina maps gated neighborhoods with the resident approach. Meaning, map the neighborhood if you were a resident, and had access to the neighborhood if you were one. Please contact Local Hosts if you have any questions on how to map this correctly.
DO NOT MAP THE GUARD/GATE HOUSE AS A PLACE AREA OR POINT for a neighborhood.
County Maps: County Maps
SC DOT: SC DOT Website
Communication will be handled primarily in #Slack Channels and WME chat can also be used. The WME Chat addon is recommended. Special Slack channels will be set up and named by raid location and group. Please be sure to join the slack WazeMapRaid Team and join the channels for the specific MapRaid and group you are assigned to.
Click here to get your Slack invitation. Be sure to choose WazeMapRaid to the MapRaid question.
If you have an issue getting into the slack team and channels, please reach out to one of the MapRaid organizers.
Unlock and Lock Requests
Unlock and lock requests should be handled in your teams slack channel. Each team has at least one rank 5 editor, most have more.
Due to the close group and rapid time frame for editing, we can accomplish things much faster if we handle it all in-house. There is no need to post unlock requests to the forum for MapRaid! related edits.
Unlock requests should include the permalink preferably without layers, the changes you would like to make, and the reasoning behind the changes you'd like to make.
- New editor welcome page
- Waze Map Editor
- Best Map Editing Practice
- Editing manual
- Common editing mistakes
- How to make a Permalink
- All about using the WME Chat
- Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools where you'll find links and descriptions to most of the editing scripts being used. Some of these are essential to good editing, and others make the editing process much easier. WME Validator, URO+, and WME Toolbox are highly recommended.
- South Carolina Wiki
- The South Carolina MapRaid Group/Region Overlay will be available on GreasyFork to indicate the Group areas on the map as you work. You will need TamperMonkey (Chrome) or GreaseMonkey (Firefox) to install and use this. By: Davielde ( ) , updated by Rickzabel ( )
- The Carolina-county Overlay for South Carolina Counties is available on GreasyFork and indicates what county you are in on the map as you work. You will need TamperMonkey (Chrome) or GreaseMonkey (Firefox) to install and use this. By: Davielde ( ) , updated by ggrane ( )
- UrComments - a tremendous time and labor saving tool with automation and integration with URO+, to help with working URs. Read the documentation. By: Rickzabel ( )
- Place Browser - This tool lists all places in the specified area, and flags some things that MIGHT be problems. It is up to you to decide what to do with this information. Be sure to apply the global, national, and local guidelines for places. Be sure to click the About tab to get an overview of the tool. By: Joyriding ( )
- The WME Reference Sheet[PDF] is a printable double-sided tri-fold quick reference guide to some of the common topics used in WME. By: Xevell ( )
- Validator is a script that validates a map area in Waze Map Editor, highlights issues and generates a very detailed report with wiki references and solutions.
- For Chrome browser please download the script at Chrome Web Store
- For Firefox browser please download the script at GreasyFork.org
Note: for Firefox browser you also need Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey installed.
- There is also a [greasyfork.org/en/scripts/6268-wme-validator-localization-for-south-carolina SC Localization for Validator] available. You will need Tampermonkey or Greasemonkey installed (in addition to Validator) in order to use it.
- WME Chat Addon is a script that improves the WME chat GUI. For a list of all the features check the thread here. By: Dummyd2 ( )
- Tapermonkey/Greasmonkey is required to use this script
Mapraid edit lists
Spreadsheets and forms are being used to streamline management of various group efforts and track important edits. Below you can find links to use these these forms, sheets, and see the lists.
Boots on the ground
We need local boots on the ground to check things. Please add requests for locals to go and scout things in person, as in on the road. Some examples when this would be used include to check and see if:
- The street view is accurate,
- A road is really closed,
- A turn really allowed/prohibited, etc.
Place Name Harmonization
These name spellings are standardized so that Wazers will receive consistent results when searching in the client. Please use them when you edit one of these chain or franchise businesses.
If you don't find the business you're looking for, please [missing_form use this form] to submit the missing information.