|Registration for the MapRaid! is now closed. To hear about future MapRaids please join the MapRaid #Slack. has begun on 2015-06-21, Sunday. 00:00 UTC. The raid will last for roughly 7 days.|
MapRaid SC Beachcomber Raid will be 21 June at 17:00 UTC (1:00 PM EDT) through 28 June 2015. The map raid will be divided into several groups, one for each section. Each group will have both local and senior editors, one of which will be the "Group leader" - listed in blue below. Please direct all questions to your group leaders. The raid hosts will be available across all areas for added support.
You will also be given a super region. Your goal as raiders should be to get your assigned area as complete and through as possible. Please don't edit outside your assign area unless directed to or with permission from a local host.
Our mission is to handle
- Functional Classification
- Places, especially in resort areas.
- URs, MPs, and general map verification
Every editor rank 3 and up from the state who has AM area and has been active recently and is participating in this MR will be listed as a host.
|orbitc(6) [ [Help]]||Regional Coordinator|
Map Raid Organizer
|HavanaDay(6) [ [Help]]||Map Raid Organizer|
|crazycaveman(5) [ [Help]]||Map Raid Organizer|
|ialangford(5) [ [Help]]||Map Raid Organizer|
About this map raid
Please read the entire MapRaid wiki. If you are still uncertain what to do about something you see on the map, please ask your group leader Thank You for your help with the map.
What NOT to do
You have editing access to a super region. Please stay within your assigned group area. If your group area is completely done, your group leader will assign you to one of the other groups for the remainder of the raid. Please use the mapraid overlay extension to keep track of your group area boundaries.
Mapraid UR Rules
We will follow the usual US UR etiquette with one exception: During the Map raid, the wait time is reduced to 4 days.
Do not close URs if the UR contains a tag such as [NOTE], [CLOSURE], or any other [MESSAGE]. Ask the editor who created the tag.
We use micro-doglegs to control turn- vs. stay/keep/exit instructions. Zoom in very close to see the closely-spaced geometry nodes. Preserve them.
Road Types, Names, and Functional Classification (FC)
In South Carolina , we follow the general US standards for road types based on the hybrid rule of FC and Route Type.
- South Carolina Highways: SC-###.
- State highway secondary system S-46-18 -- used as alternate name only.
- The route number is a combination of county code (46) and road number (18)
- If there is no other name on the sign, then the primary name should be Rd 18
- If an interstate exit says County Rd 18, it is actually for a state secondary
- County Road: CR-537, CR-4 are usually not signed. Only use this as the primary name if it appears on signs.
- If it is called County Rd XXX it is NOT a county road -- it is usually a state secondary route (see above)
- For SC and S numbers ONLY, use the SCDOT streetfinder
- You can read more about road naming in South Carolina
- If a road has more than one name follow the standard for Concurrent names on US roads.
- Where roads cross divided roadways, the section crossing the median should have no name. The "none" box should be checked. Read more about a connecting street between the lanes of a divided highway.
|Segment Type||Default locks|
|Highest rank of connected segment|
Please bring places up to standard -- correct names, categories, addresses, locations, and remove inappropriate photos. Follow the US standard for places, except as noted below.
- For correct business name spellings/capitalization, see Southeast Place editing
- Use the Places Browser to help you catch possible mistakes.
- Please lock places to 3 once you have corrected all of the following:
- Destination point
Exceptions to the US standards for places:
The following are NOT mapped in South Carolina:
- water (if a major body of water that is missing from the map, ask the RC or an SM)
- toll plazas
- Left turns are prohibited when
- a posted sign prohibits the left turn
- there are two double yellow lines Sometimes, there is a raised median or diagonal striping between.This is often seen in the form of the "bubble" prior to a dedicated left turn lane,
- there is a dedicated left turn lane in the main road, not counting a bi-directional "suicide" center turn lane.
- Left turns are allowed when
- They are not prohibited (see above)
- Left turns are even allowed across a double-yellow line into a driveway or private road or parking lot. Double-yellow lines are usually interrupted at a public street where a left turn is permitted.
- NFC maps (GIS)
- City boundary/CDP boundary maps
- SCIWAY County GIS links
- State list of County and City GIS contacts and maps (where available)
- For State Highway and secondary highway route numbers (SC-XXX and S-XX-XX) ONLY, use the SCDOT streetfinder. Do not use this map for any other purpose.
We will use #Slack Channels. There is a South Carolina Raid general channel and also a channel for each raid group. Please be sure to join the slack WazeMapRaid Team and join the channels for the specific MapRaid and group you are assigned to. If you are not already part of the WazeMapRaid slack team, Click here to get your Slack invitation. Be sure to choose WazeMapRaid to the MapRaid question. If you have trouble getting into the slack team and channels, please reach out to one of the MapRaid organizers.
WME chat can also be used. The WME Chat addon is recommended.
- New editor welcome page
- Waze Map Editor
- Best Map Editing Practice
- Editing manual
- Common editing mistakes
- How to make a Permalink
- All about using the WME Chat
- Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools where you'll links and descriptions to most of the editing scripts being used. Some of these are essential to good editing, and others make the editing process much easier. WME Validator and URO+ are highly recommended.
Recommended Tools for MapRaid
- overlay link tampermonkey/greasemonkey required
- Map Raid Place Browser
- UR Comments - a tremendous time and labor saving tool with automation and integration with URO+, to help with working URs. Read the documentation. Tampermonkey / greasemonkey required
- The WME Reference Sheet[PDF] is a printable double-sided tri-fold quick reference guide to some of the common topics used in WME.
- Validator is a script that validates a map area in Waze Map Editor, highlights issues and generates a very detailed report with wiki references and solutions.
- Chrome browser: please download the script at Chrome Web Store
- Firefox browser: please download the script at GreasyFork.org -- tampermonkey or greasemonkey required
- There is also a SC Localization for Validator available. You will need Tampermonkey or Greasemonkey installed (in addition to Validator) in order to use it.
- WME Chat Addon is a script that improves the WME chat GUI. For a list of all the features check the thread here -- Tapermonkey/Greasmonkey required
|Check back here after the raid is completed to see the results and achievements|
Some editors really let their bright side out, and let their community skills shine. This is even more evident in a concerted group effort with high-density editing like a MapRaid!. Editors of all ranks working closely with each other and the Champs, really lets us everyone get to know each other, and allows certain editors to be recognized for their skills and effort.
When the Champs see someone consistently editing well, interacting well with the community, and knowledgeable of the various details from the Wiki, they can issue promotions. This can be anything from the size of a managed area, to a rank increase, or even a new role.
|Watch here for results of promotions during and after the raid.|