User:Dude495/drafts/NY Places Raid
Aside from segments, places are key to navigation for Wazers. Most users search for a place by the venue name they want to route to. Without proper place points/areas and information these users may not be routed to the correct location which causes frustration and potential loss of users to other navigation apps.
This raid is designed not only to help tackle New York's PUR problem but places in general. Reduce New York's high PUR count, which helps improve the user experience, but also complete and bring to standards the existing places within Waze. This raid will run for approximately 1 week from the start date.
- Handle existing PURs
- Complete existing places and bring to New York standard
- Add/verify HN's/RPP for places should the user decide to navigate via physical address instead of venue name
- Any edit related to improving place navigation.
What is NOT a Goal of this Raid
- Update Requests
- Speed Limits
- Non-place related edits except to improve venue routing.
- OrbitC (Rank 6) - Regional Coordinator
- PhantomSoul (Rank 6) - Assistant Regional Coordinator
- JDelosa (Rank 5) - State Manager
- Joyriding (Rank 5) - State Manager
- Rfrsw101 (Rank 5) - State Manager
- Whoaitspete (Rank 5) - State Manager
- Dude495 (Rank 4) - State Manager
- We will communicate primarily using the Global & MapRaid Discord Server. Special channels will be reserved for this project.
- We may also use Waze's official but limited chat within WME
- Please set yourself visible in WME chat and turn on the Users layer
When you approve or reject a PUR or edit a place directly, always check that the place details are as complete as possible, and that the completed place follows guidance. New York follows USA guidance on places. The WMEPH tool for place harmonization is a useful way to check that you have followed guidance on completing places. WMEPH can also help identify existing places that require attention due to missing details, when located please make sure to complete the information following the same details above.
Update pending places
You can proceed with places that are pending updates (enable the "Places" checkbox in Issues layer of WME).
- Please wisely approve new photos of places. Check the place exterior with StreetView if possible.
- New parking lots should only be area places.
Places that are complete (correct address, phone number, website, hours, etc. where applicable) should be locked at Rank 2. This is to prevent erroneous changes or vandalism on places that are considered to be trustworthy.
- Places considered fundamental to the functioning of the Waze app, such as Gas Stations, should be locked to Rank 4.
- Complex, intricate, or crucial Places such as Hospitals, Police Stations, Fire Departments, Airports, Parks, etc. should be locked at least to Rank 4.
This is to prevent loss of data or vandalism due to automatic acceptance of Place Update submissions from Trusted Users, or Place Update Request approvals from other editors without careful examination.
- If you do not have a high enough enough rank to lock the place a Rank 4+, please lock it as high as you can, ask a higher ranked editor or group leader to lock it to the state standard level.
- Use the settings tab (gear icon on the right).
- Advanced Preferences: Check all boxes
- Units: Imperial
- Environment: North America
- Language: Choose your language
- WME Satellite Imagery and WME Street View (do not copy street names from WME Street View)
- Websites from businesses
- New York State sources
- New York State scripts
NOT allowed sources:
- Google Maps
- Google Street View within Google Maps
- Street names which appear in WME street view images (these come from Google Maps, and are sometimes wrong)
- Other external sources, such as OpenStreetMaps, Bing, etc.
Warning: If you copy information from unauthorized sources, you may be removed from this project team. Also, every segment you edited may be removed from the map. Copying information from copyrighted sources is illegal!
Highly recommended scripts
These tools are all scripts that will help you make better use of the information available to you in WME. For this Project, the following are highly recommended. You are responsible for learning what they do and using them appropriately.
- This script adds buttons near the PL in WME for access to state and other resources for researching map issues. etc. Please be careful and respect copyrights, do not copy from copyrighted sourced into WME.
This script also localized WME Validator for New York. You must also have the main Validator package installed for this to work.
- Can load address points and parcel boundaries
- Select the GIS-L tab, then under the GIS Layers Settings, check NY state and under Layers choose "State - Adress points" and "State - Parcels"
- Requires Tampermonkey
- A powerful script that will help you spot map problems more quickly. Ask group leaders for the best settings for the types of problems you are working on
- Install for Chrome only (Requires Tampermonkey).
- An extension that removes the layer settings and insert the "missing" / in URLs
- A script that shows where Street View imagery is available in WME segments and places.
- Install for Chrome or Firefox
- (Requires Tampermonkey for Chrome or Greasemonkey for Firefox)
- Install for Chrome or Firefox
NY Places Raid Timer
- This timer will start the count down once the official date is set and change shortly after the raid begins to show the remaining time of the raid.