|This new page is currently undergoing modifications. The information presented should be considered a draft, not yet ready for use. Content is being prepared by one or more users. Do not make any changes before you send a private message to [Dude495 this user].|
You want to help too? Read along and join the local community of Waze Pakistan.
What is Waze?
Waze is a free GPS navigation application for mobile phone or tablet. Waze has speech support, free map updates and uses real time traffic information and actual reports from its users. Users like you!
With Waze you can share your driver experience, connect with friends, send your ETA to show when you will be home, or just avoid traffic jams. Waze is crowd-sourced, meaning it is maintained by its users.
Waze has the application, often called client or just app. You can read more about the app at the support pages. Click on the picture to download the app.
There is a map, that is maintained by users via the Waze Map Editor (WME). Information about editing in Pakistan can be found under the tab Editing. If you want to edit right away, here is how to start.
Its users form a community, who work together locally as well as internationally. Information about the community in Pakistan can be found under the tab Community.
Waze in Pakistan
Waze Forums are the official Waze communication platform where you will find a lot of information as an editor. Log into the Waze Pakistan forum using your Waze login and password as you would the editor or app. The forum also has Private Messages (PM) where you can send and receive messages to other editors.
While you are editing, you can directly request help in WME chat. It shows you the level of the editor you are talking to. Please keep in mind that most editors are willing to help, but not all of them have the technical knowledge or editing experience to give you the best answer. Because the built-in chat does not always work as desired, we mostly use Slack to communicate with local community editors.
Slack is a community chat platform with many possibilities. There are teaching classes and webinars to improve your editing skills. There are several channels, project groups, and you can send Direct Messages (DM) too. If you like to join into discussions and development of Waze Pakistan, Slack gives the best opportunities. You can request access to Slack by filling in this form. You will then receive an invitation to Slack, where you need to make an account.
The community consists of all people that uses Waze on way or another. Drivers, editors, wiki master and the like. The current active community management in Pakistan is a mix of local and international editors. For any question or suggestion you can contact them via Waze forums or address one of the champs or project leaders directly from the tables below.
|Community leaders of Pakistan|
|Special assigments / Projects|
|Supporting Foreign Editor|
Bugs and limitations
Although we think Waze gives the best possibilities for navigation, it knows some problems and limitations as well. Specific for Pakistan are the following:
- The map needs to be improved
- Due to the status of the road network and the yet small community, the map in Pakistan is not of high quality everywhere. However, the current editing community is working hard to improve the map. You help already by driving with Waze on! And if you are in for an adventure, you might add new roads to the map, or even become a Waze Map Editor.
- Long distance routing
- Setting a route over long distances puts a lot of weight on the servers. Depending on the map quality, you can expect routes with a maximum length of about 1500 km. At this moment, maximum route length will often be less in Pakistan*. If you request a route and the calculation time is too long, you'll receive an error saying "Routing server timeout" or "no route found". We recommend breaking up longer routes into several segments by choosing intermediate destinations.
- * Note that we are currently upgrading the road network to get better and longer routes!
- Known issues in the current app version are listed on the support pages
Wishing you fun and happy travels with Waze in Pakistan!