User:Voludu2/Welcoming New Editors
|This is a work in progress. Please help work this out at: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=108515 or to type the right stuff right here.|
When you see red roads, unnecessary parking lots, and other common editing mistakes -- celebrate. When you see a really basic question in chat -- joyfully welcome the new editor.
We all want to see these new editors switch from messing up the map to fixing up the map as quickly as possible. How do we get important information to them as quickly as possible?
What to do
- When an editor asks a basic question like "How do I stop making this parking lot?", don't answer. Visit. If they don't know that, they don't know much. But you can help. Share the Welcome page or Rank 1 skill slides. Inspect their work. Get them to use permalinks. Point them at relevant sections of Best Practices or Common editing mistakes.
- When you spot a new editor red-handed making errors anywhere on the map, try to flag them down no matter where they are on the map.
- If they are deleting or otherwise breaking roads, get a high-level editor to help lock the area down immediately.
- Otherwise, try the usual tedious and generally ineffective methods of flagging down new editors: "dance party", "road art", "delete their work", and "surround them with URs".
- When you see an editor's recent work, but can't find the editor in chat, send a friendly "welcome to waze editing" message on the forum. Then forward that message to the state manager in that area.
- When an editor doesn't answer your PM, and doesn't seem to be learning, contact the state manager again, and if you don't get a response from the state manager, contact a regional coordinator.
Hello <insert name here>!
[url=https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Waze_Map_Editor/Welcome]Welcome to Waze Editing[/url]! We can really use the help in <region>.
Please join the community of waze editors just like you. We share tips, tricks, and best practices for really making the map work for wazers. Please [url=https://discord.gg/GsCCqHg]join us on Discord chat[/url]. Always check in each time you edit. Introduce yourself as a new editor, and you'll get plenty of help.
Thanks for your help with the map!
Some useful references:
[list] [*] [url=http://bit.ly/Rank1SKills]Rank 1 skill slides[/url] [*] [url=https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Map_Editor_Interface_and_Controls]Map Editor Interface and Controls[/url] [*] [url=https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Best_map_editing_practice]Best Practices[/url] [*] [url=https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Common_editing_mistakes]Common Mistakes[/url] [*] [url=https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Creating_and_editing_road_segments]Creating and editing road segments[/url] [/list]