West Virginia/Cities and towns
Choosing city names
When assigning the city name to a road segment or landmark, use the name of the incorporated place or CDP (census-designated place). There are several sources of this informationː
- Install the WV Script and be sure to check the box for Cities/Towns/CDP.
- Install the WME Geometries script, then loading this tl_2017_54_place.geojson overlay file.
- A map of the 2016 CDP cities can also be seen on this map.
If a segment falls outside of the boundaries of an approved city/cdp please follow the USA guidelines for adding a city name in the alternate field.
Examples of City Name guidance for West Virginia (follows USA guidelines)ː
- The city name for the primary name is either the CDP name, incorporated city name, or None.
- If the segment falls within a City or CDP, then all alternate segment names should also include the same City/CDP. Do not add any USPS Zip Code City as an alternate city name. Example:
- If the segment falls outside of a City or CDP, then the primary city name should be left blank and the "None" check box selected. The primary segment name should be duplicated in the alternates and all alternate names should use the USPS Zip Code City name. Do not check "None" for any of the alternate city names
If the road type is Freeway, set the city as None, regardless of the location. Be sure to also set the city name of any alternate names correctly. Please discuss any deviations from this guidance in the West Virginia Forum.