West Virginia/WV MapRaid 2018
|The WV MapRaid Wiki is in pretty good shape, but will remain a work in progress until the MapRaid begins. Once the Mapraid begins, the Wiki will only change as necessary due to unanticipated changes in Waze guidance or necessary corrections. The MapRaid will run from 04-29-2018 thru 05-13-2018. Please do not make any edits in the raid area until after the raid begins (00:00 UTC or when announced on Discord).|
The primary goal of the WV MapRaid is to review and connect basemap roads as well as update and review existing confirmed roads. Secondary goals are available for editors running into editor restrictions or needing a break from basemap.
We would like to perform these goals in the following order:
- Base Map / Connectivity and Verify / Update details for existing roads
- Please review the Basemap Wiki for steps to, and a guide for, editing basemap/connectivity
- In addition to the steps in the Basemap wiki, please pay special attention to the following:
- Look for and correct other state names on segments (OH/VA/KY/PA/MD)
- Add Speed Limits (SL) - only if confirmed with SV or SLURs
- Verify road names and verify/add appropriate street and city alt-names
- Remove names and adjust Railroad (RR) segments (elevation/junctions/etc). Leave the name on "Cass Scenic Railroad" and "WVU PRT".
- Use the WV Place Browser to review and fix all places.
- Resolve User Reports (UR), Place Update Requests (PUR) and Map Problems (MP)
We will use Discord to communicate. You must be in the Waze Global and MR Discord server to be able to edit in this MapRaid.
If you do not understand anything, please askǃ If you need help figuring out where to start, please askǃ If you think you did something correctly, but aren't sure, please askǃ Between editors in various time zones and editors that work different shifts, it is likely there be someone online to help at most times that can help.
WV Mapraid Segment Update Request
Welcome R1 and R2 editors and thanks for your participation in the 2018 WV MapRaid. We know how frustrating it can be to not be able to delete (or do many name changes on) segments that you did not create. We feel your pain and have come up with a handy script so you can mark segments that need to be updated and know that a more senior editor will address those issues.
The script can be found at WME Form Filler WVMR.
As with most scripts of this type you need to have Tampermonkey installed.
The script will pull much of the necessary information into the WV Mapraid Segment Update Request Form for you, saving you time and (hopefully) getting your requested edits addressed in a timely fashion. You can also ask for help in your group Discord channel or work directly with a higher ranked editor.
While we would like everyone to focus on the primary goal of this MapRaid, we are offering the additional goals that are also very beneficial to the map as a way to give you a break from the editor restrictions.
Segment Update Request Script Usage
- Make sure you have the WME Form Filler WVMR script installed.
- Select a segment or segments that need to be changed by a more senior editor. This should bring up a dialogue in the top of the left panel.
- Click on the "Go to Form" button.
- You'll notice that the top section of the form has been automatically filled in for you.
- Scroll down to and fill in the Type of Update, Source of Update, and Notes Sections
- Click on the "SUBMIT" button to submit your answers
- Move on to the rest of your editing and remember to submit any further Segment Update Requests as you go.
We need your help in keeping up to date with the changes that these R1 and R2 editors are making.
Visit the Segment Update Spreadsheet and help to make the necessary updates to the map. Please be sure to update the Responder and Status columns appropriately and follow-up if necessary.
Raid Leadership Team
|Ldriveskier ( )||MAR MSM, West Virginia SM|
|roadtechie ( )||LC, USA CM, GLR ARC, West Virginia SM|
|AnorestesX ( )||Michigan AM, West Virginia AM|
|Happy_Lyn ( )||Michigan AM|
|JasonN899 ( )||Maryland SM|
|Kwrigh01 ( )||West Virginia MAR-LAM|
|LennyNRPD ( )||MAR MSM, Virginia SM|
|mtb2314 ( )||Maryland MAR-LAM|
|subs5 ( )||USA CM, Virginia SM|
This MapRaid will not have specific group leaders, but we have assigned members of our Raid Leadership Team to each group. These "Leadership contacts" will either be able to answer any questions/concerns about the raid or about West Virginia specific topics or they will bring them back to the Raid Leadership Team and/or WV SMs as appropriate.
All Raiders are encouraged to work together and help one another. Please feel free to ask questions and/or offer your assistance in your group. The more experienced editors are encouraged to share their knowledge by doing informal mentoring throughout the MapRaid with less experienced editors. The "OK everyone - what's going on with this example?" type of interaction is a wonderful learning benefit of a MapRaid.
|[Group 1 - Morgantown]|
Leadership contacts: kwrigh01 ( ) - subs5 ( )
|stephenr1966(6) [ ]||1|| |
|doryphore_6(5) [ ]||1|| |
|jbayes(5) [ ]||1|| |
|johnsninja58(5) [ ]||1|| |
|Joyriding(5) [ ]||1|| |
|Michelle-s(5) [ ]||1|| |
|Nacron(5) [ ]||1|| |
|RussPA(5) [ ]||1|| |
|subs5(5) [ ]||1|| |
|zohar760(5) [ ]||1|| |
|abc1357(4) [ ]||1|| |
|Dangottschalk(4) [ ]||1|| |
|Fish1552(4) [ ]||1|| |
|GeekDriverPeaceful(4) [ ]||1|| |
|kwrigh01(4) [ ]||1|| |
|SpencerFG(4) [ ]||1|| |
|steelpanz(4) [ ]||1|| |
|ababcock(3) [ ]||1|| |
|Bestscoutmom(3) [ ]||1|| |
|ehcool68(3) [ ]||1|| |
|jalondon628(3) [ ]||1|| |
|Kirkyelise(3) [ ]||1|| |
|NDFinster(3) [ ]||1|
|Phlipnull (3) [ ]||1|
|RodeNinja(3) [ ]||1|| |
|taminas(3) [ ]||1|
|angeloscuro(2) [ ]||1|
|daveacincy(2) [ ]||1|
|Hobbz1701(2) [ ]||1|| |
|jushag(2) [ ]||1|
|turbo_jjr(2) [ ]||1|
|Clayton324(1) [ ]||1|
|Nazairian(1) [ ]||1|
|[Group 2 - Parkersburg]|
Leadership contacts: roadtechie ( ) - Happy_Lyn ( )
|roadtechie(6) [ ]||2|| |
|dfw_gis(5) [ ]||2|| |
|JB15TM(5) [ ]||2|| |
|Joerodriguez12(5) [ ]||2|| |
|jr1982jr(5) [ ]||2|| |
|N4DOG(5) [ ]||2|| |
|ojlaw(5) [ ]||2|| |
|wiby1977(5) [ ]||2|| |
|Bassdan7403(4) [ ]||2|| |
|DCLemur(4) [ ]||2|| |
|HippocampusLol(4) [ ]||2|| |
|j-d-(4) [ ]||2|| |
|JasonN899(4) [ ]||2|| |
|juliansean(4) [ ]||2|| |
|MrNicGuy(4) [ ]||2|| |
|Rainman3699(4) [ ]||2|| |
|toolmanzwief(4) [ ]||2|| |
|dodgingcones(3) [ ]||2|
|DrHenryJonesSr(3) [ ]||2|| |
|EmilGz(3) [ ]||2|| |
|Happy_Lyn(3) [ ]||2|| |
|jalondon628 (3) [ ]||2|| |
|mdswbkq(3) [ ]||2|| |
|texasthered(3) [ ]||2|| |
|YustinusWaruwu(3) [ ]||2|| |
|ZenBullitt911(3) [ ]||2|
|Chronos74(2) [ ]||2|
|mvan231(2) [ ]||2|
|Mythdraug(2) [ ]||2|
|nightshadeNOLA(2) [ ]||2|
|RivrGuy(2) [ ]||2|
|kidkart72(1) [ ]||2|
|Mikejwb(1) [ ]||2|
|[Group 3 - Charleston]|
Leadership contacts: ldriveskier ( ) - AnorestesX ( )
|ct13(6) [ ]||3|| |
|Jdelosa(5) [ ]||3|| |
|jwe252(5) [ ]||3|| |
|ldriveskier(5) [ ]||3|| |
|Nimbus-(5) [ ]||3|| |
|OldDentsideFordLover(5) [ ]||3|| |
|SanzClew(5) [ ]||3|| |
|uscwaller(5) [ ]||3|| |
|whathappened15(5) [ ]||3|| |
|apeachypanda(4) [ ]||3|| |
|BenEnmen(4) [ ]||3|| |
|bummerdude69(4) [ ]||3|| |
|doctorblah(4) [ ]||3|| |
|mhh60(4) [ ]||3|| |
|SirGadwall(4) [ ]||3|| |
|tinfoilhattie(4) [ ]||3|| |
|turbomkt(4) [ ]||3|| |
|airchair(3) [ ]||3|| |
|AnorestesX(3) [ ]||3|| |
|buckeyemondo(3) [ ]||3|| |
|Dino6451(3) [ ]||3|| |
|FalloutRanger(3) [ ]||3|| |
|Huybee3(3) [ ]||3|| |
|Kyhtak(3) [ ]||3|
|MFCoolCool(3) [ ]||3|| |
|Tlknows(3) [ ]||3|
|fweewayze94(2) [ ]||3|
|KeepSloanWeird(2) [ ]||3|
|megg2004(2) [ ]||3|| |
|NoahKarateKidLol(2) [ ]||3|
|UEFL(2) [ ]||3|
|Cm1o416(1) [ ]||3|
|kohenkatz(1) [ ]||3|
|[Group 4 - Beckley]|
Leadership contacts: LennyNRPD ( ) - mtb2314 ( )
|jemay(6) [ ]||4|| |
|dhschneider(5) [ ]||4|| |
|LennyNRPD(5) [ ]||4|| |
|Ocstagetech(5) [ ]||4|| |
|red-nax(5) [ ]||4|| |
|Rfrsw101(5) [ ]||4|| |
|SkyviewGuru(5) [ ]||4|| |
|Tango259(5) [ ]||4|| |
|AugieAStL(4) [ ]||4|| |
|dchary2418(4) [ ]||4|| |
|drudoyle(4) [ ]||4|| |
|Dude495(4) [ ]||4|| |
|hiroaki27609(4) [ ]||4|| |
|mtb2314(4) [ ]||4|| |
|oldbeeg(4) [ ]||4|| |
|Rainman3699(4) [ ]||4|| |
|RichardPyne(4) [ ]||4|| |
|willdanneriv(4) [ ]||4|| |
|Beachbumli247(3) [ ]||4|| |
|bm36ers(3) [ ]||4|| |
|burgher_2(3) [ ]||4|| |
|cparishjr(3) [ ]||4|| |
|krzycholub(3) [ ]||4|| |
|KTCAOP(3) [ ]||4|| |
|Larryhayes7(3) [ ]||4|| |
|m-103(3) [ ]||4|
|MacroNav(3) [ ]||4|| |
|heartpoam(2) [ ]||4|
|JakePost(2) [ ]||4|
|mwfrans(2) [ ]||4|
|NASASK(2) [ ]||4|
|utechtl(2) [ ]||4|| |
|WayzrBill(2) [ ]||4|
|StrategicIntervention(1) [ ]||4|
Focus on the main goals of the MapRaid. We realize there are several changes in national guidance that have not yet been instituted across all of West Virginia, however it is more important to get basic routing working at this time. Unless you're also making edits that are part of the goals of this MapRaid, don't edit otherwise routable segments for the sole purpose of bringing them up to current guidance.
Please do not edit any of the following road segments without first consulting a West Virginia SM: Freeways, Ramps
Please do not mass-edit Make edits that will affect large numbers of segments at once with care. Mass editing can lead to errors and loss of data.
Complete each segment before moving on. When you find a point on the map to do an edit, please take the time to finish all the associated items with that edit before moving on. The basemap wiki is an excellent checklist for editing roads even if you are working on a road that is not basemap. Please refer to the guidance in the MapRaid Goals section for more information.
Anything locked at 5 or 6 (or locked above the minimum lock standards)? Please check with a West Virginia SM before making changes. Rank 5 and 6 editors - consider keeping highlights active for locks.
West Virginia uses the concept of True Elevation on segments within the State. The use of True Elevation is to better represent segments in relationship with its surroundings/ground level. For more information please review the WV True Elevation Guidance page. Note that we do NOT use True Elevation on Freeway or Ramp segments.
Road names in West Virginia follow the nationwide Road Name guidance. Pay specific attention to the list of approved Abbreviations and acronyms, and when in doubt: "spell it out". See the West Virginia Wiki for Major Roads for WV Specific Naming and Type.
In general, use the data you find first on this list as the primary name and all other names/numbers as alternates. ̈If you get confused digging through all of the different GIS sites, which will probably happen (it has to all of us), please contact a member of the Raid Leadership team for guidance.
- Use SV to find BGS/LGS - if available, this is the primary name.
- Use WVDOT data to find local name and route numbering (for the MapRaid, you’ll generally need the County Route information, CR-x or CR-x/y, but confirm higher named roads)
- WVDOT GIS: consider installing the WME WV GIS Map script. This script adds a "WVGIS" link to the bottom toolbar in WME. Click it to open a GIS map that contains data pulled from most of the relevant state and county (where available) GIS sources. The link will turn green to indicate the GIS map location is sync'ed to the WME map -- moving the WME map will move the GIS map (but not vice versa). If the link turns black, e.g. after refreshing WME, the location sync is broken. Simply click the WVGIS link again to restore the sync.
- WVDOT County Maps (PDF): even if using the WVDOT GIS script, the PDF maps are a good overview of the different routes.
- County GIS maps
- We highly recommend that you install the WME GIS Buttons script. This script will make it a lot easier to access the multiple County GIS websites.
- If you do not wish to install these scripts please visit the West Virginia GIS Links spreadsheet for all GIS links. NOTE: Not all WV counties have GIS links.
- Parcel/lot information from County GIS sources and/or the WME GIS Layers script. Note that the County GIS sources from step #3 are a more complete set of the sources. The WVGIS and GIS Layers scripts contain some of the County information, but not all of it. Please use caution with the GIS Layers script as information may be inconsistent due to the E911 changes in West Virginia. Use the chart below to help determine the most reliable sources from this script.
- USPS Address Search - check addresses and add as an alternate, as appropriate per the City Name guidance (which is clarified for West Virginia below).
- If data is only available from a single source, use it.
- If multiple sources conflict with a single source, use the road name confirmed by multiple sources and add the other names as alternates.
- If it isn't possible to be sure about the primary name and there is already a primary name on the segment that matches any of the possibilities, then leave that name as primary and add the others as alternates.
- Always include the name from the BGS/LGS and the name from parcel data.
- If an address is outside the bounds of a CDP, include the USPS City as an alternate.
- Steps 3 and 4 above may be included in the wme-wv-gis-map script (step 2), depending on the County.
- Use this chart as a reference for which Layers in the GIS Layers script are the most reliable for West Virginiaː
West Virginia uses the WV-XXX format for all State Routes. For County Routes, CR-XX or CR-XX/YY is used. There are no Township Roads (TR-XXX) in West Virginia. In a few limited cases, there are special road names in use; if you see one, please do not delete it or ask a question first prior to deleting it. More detail and examples can be found here on the WV Route Naming page.
This is clarification for City Name guidance done during this MapRaid. Full guidance for West Virginia can be found on the WV Cities and Towns page. If you have any other questions or concerns please contact a member of the Raid Leadership team. Please ensure that you have the Recommended Tools installed as these will help with Identifying City/CDP and USPS Zip Codes.
- The city name for the primary name is either the CDP name, incorporated city name, or None.
- If the segment falls within a City or CDP, then all alternate segment names should also include the same City/CDP. Do not add any USPS Zip Code City as an alternate city name. Example:
- If the segment falls outside of a City or CDP, then the primary city name should be left blank and the "None" check box selected. The primary segment name should be duplicated in the alternates and all alternate names should use the USPS Zip Code City name. Do not check "None" for any of the alternate city names
- If the segment runs along the border between two Cities or CDPs, then the primary city name should be left blank and the "None" check box selected. The primary segment name should be duplicated in the alternates for both CIty/CDP names as well as the alternate segment names. Do not check "None" for any of the alternate city names. This guidance should also be applied when the segment falls outside of a City/CDP but borders two USPS Zip Code City. Example:
Alleys in West Virginia follow the MAR guidance for Alleys.
Information on functional classification in West Virginia can be found here.
MAR Minimum Road Lock Standard
|Minimum Road Lock Standard|
|Other Named Types||5|
Note that these are minimums and, for protection, certain segments may be at higher lock levels. If you find a road locked to a higher level than its minimum, please leave it locked no lower than that level when you have finished editing.
West Virginia Update Request Management
This will not be a "primary focus" of the raid, but please feel free to work any UR/PUR/MP's in your editable area. Remember to follow the West Virginia Response Timeline.
Cameras will not be mapped
§17C-6-7a of the West Virginia Code prohibits use of cameras to detect or prove traffic law violations. Please remove any Red Light or Speed Camera you find mapped in WV.
West Virginia follows the national Places guidance.
For specific WV naming standards please review the WV Naming Standards
To prevent loss of data due to automatic acceptance of submissions from "trusted users", all area places and points with complete data should be locked to Level 2 at a minimum. Additionally, please consult the following table for minimum lock level for completed places.
|Place Type||Minimum Lock Level|
|Parking Lot Area (PLA)||3|
West Virginia Wiki Page
If you have any questions regarding WV standards during editing and you cannot find the answer on this page, please visit the West Virginia Wiki Page and/or the MAR Wiki Page.
If you are new or relatively new to map editing, please CLICK HERE for some tips to get started; including settings, options, scripts, Wiki References, and instructions on lock requests and how to create a Permalink (PL). You do not need to join the WV Discord channel, you will be given an invitation to MapRaid specific Discord channels.
Tools for West Virginia MapRaid
There are many scripts and extensions that editors use to assist with editing that not only make some jobs easier, but verifies what we do is correct. The use of these scripts is highly encouraged and those listed below are the ones you should install, at a minimum, to get started.
You will need to install a browser extension to manage the additional scripts. Some scripts do not work with the current version of GreaseMonkey, so we recommend installation of TamperMonkey.
WV specific scripts
Install the following scripts that are specific to West Virginia or to this MapRaid.
- WV GIS Map Opens a WV GIS map in another window, at the same location as the WME map. Keeps the location of the GIS map synced to WME. Note that this script may require the creation of a free account.
- WV MapRaid Overlay Provides an indication of which MapRaid area you are editing in.
Install the following scripts to give you County, City, Town, and Census Designated Place (CDP) outlines that are essential in determining the City Name that is needed for every segment in West Virginia.
- WME US Government Boundaries displays USPS Zip Code Boundaries on the map.
- WME Cities Overlay Provides outlines of CDPs in West Virginia
- WME GIS Layers Adds GIS layers to WME for states and counties that provide a public ESRI/ArcGIS interface. Typically, these layers include tax parcels (often with address labels) and/or address points. Please use caution with these layers as information may be inconsistent due to the E911 changes in West Virginia. Use the chart in the Road Naming section to help determine the most reliable sources from this script.
If you prefer, the CDP outlines can be loaded into WME using the WME Geometries script, then loading this tl_2017_54_place.geojson file. Or, simply view and search the CDPs on a standalone Google Map.
Other Recommended Scripts
- WME status always visible will ensure you are visible while working on the MapRaid.
- Magic is a tool for highlighting additional errors.
- WME HN Tool (JustinS83 fork) highlights un-nudged house numbers.
- WME Junction Angle Info helps with junction maintenance. If two connected segments are selected, it shows the turn angle, and estimates navigation instructions. Otherwise it shows the the angle between each segment.
- WME Simple Permalink shortens WME permalinks by removing any layer and filter specifications.
- Place Harmonizer (WMEPH). harmonizes, formats and locks a selected place.
- [WME FS MVUM GIS Map] opens a Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map in another window, at the same location as the WME map. Keeps the location of the GIS map synced to WME.