Railway Crossing Alerts
A new feature introduced April 2020, to provide an audible and visual alert when approaching a railway crossing. The feature was designed for partners in the United States, but all countries had access to it. Below are the guidelines for implementation in Australia - note they differ from other countries.
- Railway crossing alerts in Australia should only be added for railway crossings without boom gates OR typical road traffic light systems.
- They should not be added for tram or light rail crossings, due to their high risk of creating map clutter and alert fatigue in dense areas.
- They should be placed close to the actual rail lines, and aligned in the same way as speed/red light camera - facing the direction of travel for the alert.
- A separate railway crossing alert is needed for each direction.
- Railway crossing alerts should be manually locked to level 3 after creation.
- Initially, mapping of railway crossing alerts should focus on higher road types such as highways and primary streets.