Welcome to Waze Map Editing
Important Information for All Editors
RULE NUMBER 1 : DO NOT DELETE SEGMENTS
NEVER!! EVER!!!. This destroys data in waze. Please do not delete segments without first considering that the data behind the segment will be lost forever. The data is very important to waze routing and once you delete a segment the data is deleted and we cannot revert this. I'll say it again
DO NOT DELETE SEGMENTS!
If you find a road that does not appear in reality in any way please consult your AM or higher editor before removing the segment. You will always have a better reputation for asking before deleting something.
RULE NUBMER 2: DO NOT USE COPYRIGHT SOURCES
Review Using External Sources for more information on this subject.
Google is not an approved source, even though Waze is owned by Google. Please do not use other mapping pages with copyright logos or markings. If you find a source that you believe will be ok first consult your Regional Management. Please heed their warnings, and read the wiki page linked above that explains this thoroughly.
The southeast has a wiki at Southeast Mapping Resources for editors to use. These have general disclaimers and the satellite images are usually the only portion that is copyright. The parcel data is "at our own risk" and are government records. Due to that we are allowed to use them. If you are outside the southeast region and cannot find whether the source you are using is OK please consult your local Regional Management.
Important Links for ALL USA Editors
Please review and bookmark these links for important mapping information. They will keep you out of a lot of trouble.
- Welcome to WME is the page for all your starting questions. This is the main jumping point recommended for all editors to start exploring the waze wiki. Make sure to check out the Getting Started page as it will answer most of your questions about how to manipulate things in Waze Map Editor (WME).
- Map Editor Interface and Controls Please check here before you ask us how to make a segment or draw a roundabout, or even what a junction node or geometry node is.
- Incorrect Edits is a page that was created by DwarfLord to have shorter explanations for new editing mistakes on the map. Don't worry, mistakes happen, just make sure you fix your mistakes!
Slack Team Invites
Waze USA Regions Slack Invite Waze International Slack Invite Slack is now the main platform that Wazers use for chat. Some regions that use Google Hangouts. USARegions.waze.com is the chat platform we use in the southeast and some other regions. Waze International is another slack team you may want to join.
- Please send me your email address via the forums if you need an invite. Key editors can get you added to the USA Regions Slack Team instantaneously with no more than your preferred email address, but in lieu of that the form provided above will allow you to get a slack invite link sent to your email 'SOON' .
- Glossary This is the place to look when you get confused by abbreviations or WME jargon, instead of outing your inexperience, you can look like a champ by knowing what we are talking about! Don't feel left out, we all get confused by abbreviations and acronyms!
- Requesting unlocks or updates of locked segments or places
If you edit in the USA Southeast region you NEED to know the information on this page. Without it you may do something contrary to our editing standards. There is a LOT of information there. You can find a link to bookmark the GIS resources page for your state from this page. The Southeast Region Place name harmonization sheet is also available there for reference.
USA Regions Slack Invite Please fill this form out to join the Southeast's Slack Team. We also host TX and any other users that want to join.