Philippine Locking Policy
This policy should act as a guideline on when and why segments are locked in the Philippines. Senior editors (AM and CM) are encouraged to follow these guidelines. This should also answer questions from lower level editors why roads are locked. Inspired by the UK locking policy
The primary reason for locking an area or segments is because they are:
1. Almost complete and accurate. If an area is already considered complete, they may be locked to Level 5 for Freeway/Major/Minor Highways, Level 4 for Primary roads, and L3 for everything else. The reasoning for this is if the area is 95% complete, why would anyone else need to edit it. If it needs editing, an unlock request can be submitted.
2. Changes or edits to these segments are seldom done or does not happen that often.
3. Segments that are high value roads where incorrect edits will result in routing issues.
4. Vandalism on the Waze maps
5. Bad edits are being introduced and the Wazers involved do not reply or cannot be contacted
- Road Types
NOTE: In NCR and nearby areas, since the area has the most number of Wazer, it is in the community's best interest that roads and segments are locked to Level 4 or higher.
Expressways - are to be locked to L5, including exit and on-ramps. These are high value roads and are most probably complete and accurate. As such, they need to be protected and locked to maintain their correctness. Editing will only be done by level 5 editors or CMs
Major Highways - should be locked to level 4 since this is another high value road. This will allow CMs and senior editors/AMs to make necessary edits.
Minor Highways - should be locked to level 4 since this is another high value road. This will allow CMs and senior editors/AMs to make necessary edits.
Primary Streets - should be locked to level 4 since this is another high value road. This will allow CMs and senior editors/AMs to make necessary edits.
Airports - should be locked at L6 to prevent accidental edit and deletion.
Railroads - should be locked at L5 to prevent accidental edit and deletion.
- Other Situations
Junctions / Intersections and Roundabouts These involve several segments & includes several Turn Nodes, depending on complexity, these may be locked above or higher than the Lock Levels of roads to & from these items to prevent erroneous edits and Turn Restrictions.
Ordinary Streets and other road types All named segments will be locked to level 3.
Roads Not Matching Aerials With the change to Google aerial imagery, there will be areas where the current road layout will not match the images. It is recommended that these areas are locked to level 5 to prevent well-meaning editors "correcting" them by re-aligning them to the aerials.
Places All places will be locked to level 4 to prevent unnecessary edits. This will ensure that all edits will be approved by the local champs only.
- What not to lock
Unnamed roads and segment in NCR should be locked to level 2 and those outside NCR should not be locked so that they can be edited and named by anyone with proper knowledge on the segment(s) concerned.