Minimum Acceptable Information
All Places added to the map must contain the following entries:
- Proper Category
- Place Name
- Address (including address numbers)
- Placed in the correct location on the map
This is the minimum acceptable amount of information for inclusion on the map. Below are some guidelines for specific Place properties:
Websites should link to the root site only, and include the "http://" prefix (or "https://"). If the Place is part of a business chain, do NOT link to the store-specific page as many of the details on these pages are also included in the Place properties. Not only that, but the URLs often change whenever the external website is revamped. (e.g. Link to http://www.homedepot.com instead of http://www.homedepot.com/l/Providence/RI/Providence/02908/4285).
If you come across any blank or incorrect Website links in your editing adventures, feel free to correct them.
If a phone number is entered in the Place information, please utilize the following format: (###) ###-####
Please correct the layout of any phone numbers you encounter while editing.
|PLACE TYPE||LOCK LEVEL|
|Military Installation / Airport||4|
|Hospitals / Urgent Care / Police & Fire Dept||4|
|National & State Parks and Monuments||4|
|Gas Stations / Charging Stations||3|
|Schools / Universities / Colleges||3|
|Government Buildings / Consulates||3|
|City and Local Parks||2|
- All Places that have complete information (to include, at a minimum, address/city, hours of operation, phone number) are to be locked at Level 2. This is to prevent loss of data due to automatic acceptance of Place Update submissions from Trusted Users, or Place Update Request approvals from other editors without careful examination.
- If you do not have a high enough enough rank to lock the place as indicated, please lock it as high as you can, and notify a higher rank AM, SM, CM, or Champ to lock it higher.
For instance, if you are mapping a shopping center, this means that you map the area to cover the shopping center buildings, and the parking lots out to the outer ring road (if applicable). If there is no ring road, or for smaller shopping centers, map to the curb line.
The only exception to this in Rhode Island are schools that only have one major building on the property (such as public primary/secondary education schools). In these cases, the area should be drawn to match the general shape of the building, as most of these schools have unique enough shapes to meet the requirements for single structure area places.
Hospitals / Urgent Care
Set the Stop Point over the Main Entrance to the facility. Additionally, map the Emergency Entrance with the same category name, but place it over the Emergency entrance location. ERs encompassed in a hospital Place Area should be Points, and named in the following fashion: E.R. - Hospital Name
- Rhode Island Place Browser - This is an invaluable tool for working on existing places. Be sure to click the About tab to get an overview of the tool.