Routing penalties/Controlling U-turn penalties
|For the latest discussion on this section please visit the wiki forum thread.|
The Waze routing algorithm sets a penalty for some double-left or double-right turns. This can prevent U-turns at H-style intersections on divided and parallel roads.
A large U-turn penalty is set for a double-left or double-right turn when all three of the conditions below are met:
- The U-turn involves a reversal of driving direction through 3 segments:
A) an incoming segment, B) a single median segment, and C) an outgoing segment
- Segment B is shorter than 15 m (49.21 feet)
- Segment A and segment B are within ±5° of parallel to each other
|It is possible for this method to fail to prevent a U-turn when it is the first segment of a route or reroute. If you observe this method to fail when it is implemented properly, please report it in this forum thread|
To allow a double-left or double-right turn through a median segment, break any one of the above criteria. For example:
- To allow median U-turns in both directions, break condition #2 by making the median segment longer than 15 m (49.21 ft)
- To selectively allow a U-turn from only one direction, first setup U-turn prevention as you would for both directions. For the side where U-turns are allowed, make the incoming and outgoing segments sufficiently non-parallel. (Tip: consider using a Micro-dogleg to discreetly tweak the angle without affecting appearance)
Condition #3 for U-turn prevention requires the incoming and outgoing segments to be within ±5º of parallel to each other. These two segments are considered parallel if their angles with respect to a straight median segment sum to 180±5º (i.e, between 175º and 185º).
Angles can be easily checked with the Junction Angle Info script add-on, which can be set to report absolute angles or turn angles ("departure"). For the purpose of determining parallelism, summing either measurements will work.
However, if the median segment has geometry nodes and is not straight, it cannot be used as a reference. In this case, temporarily add a straight segment to the same junctions as the existing curved median. Check the angles using this straight median and delete when done.