The global Wiki page on Update Requests contains an extensive description of all aspects of the User Request. This page describes the BeLux approach.
Update requests (UR) are submitted by app users to report issues with the routing or the map. An icon with the small Waze icon is added to the editing map in the Update Requests layer. The reporters name is not displayed. Clicking on the UR icon a panel with the UR details is displayed. The UR is of a certain type, has a date time displayed. Sometimes the Waze provided route and/or the User drive are available plus some words from the reporter.
The conversation start with your first response, often asking for information. When the reporter doesn't react a friendly reminder should be send. After a reminder the UR can be closed with Mark as not identified. In case the reporter replies on your response the problem might be solved. Perhaps an explanation is sufficient, sometimes the map should be corrected. If the problem is fixed the UR can be closed with Mark as closed.
- Thank user for reporting the issue.
- Ask for more information necessary to solve this UR.
- Indicate that they cannot answer directly by email because of the firstname.lastname@example.org address used. You could include an email address of your own allowing the reporter to answer by email replacing the email@example.com address with yours.
- Sign off with your name.
- First reply > First reminder after 3 to 5 days > Optional second reminder 3 to 5 days later > Mark as Not identified 3 days later.
- React on reporter's answers untill a conclusion is reached > Mark as Solved It is still possible that the reporter respond on a closed report. So it is not necessary to leave the report open if it is solved.
When you respond to user reports, you are interacting with the original reporter, and you may also be interacting with other Waze editors who respond to the same request. The first responding editor has no absolute ownership of the problem solution. Other editors should not step in, other than to send a next reminder to the reporter (If more than 6 days without follow up), or unless they think the owner needs help (whether the owner realizes it or not), or the first reporting editor has abandoned/lost track of the report over time.
- Always react friendly, helpful.
- Don't use jargon
- Keep your reactions short and to the point.
Example Turn not allowed
The report indicates “Turn not allowed”.
Looking at the green line (=GPS track driven by user in reality), a turn was made at the end of the road where the purple line (Waze route) starts.
If there are no obvious reason’s to be found (like red Turn Restrictions, or unconnected roads) you will have to investigate further and probably need the help of the user. In this case the reason is unclear so we will try to get in contact with the reporter using the Conversation Box asking for more information.
Thanks for your report on the Noorddijk, Rockanje! Waze did not send us enough information to fix your request. Would you please let us know what went wrong? Your route indicates that you had to turn around. What was your destination? Best regards, <name> (username <wazeusername>, email firstname.lastname@example.org )
Depending on a response (and information given) it could mean that several messages goes back and forth until reason (and solution) is clear.
Example Address unknown
The report indicates “Incorrect address”: Wolwevershaven 19 Dordrecht.
The report is made on the junction Vlak and Nieuwe Haven. The Wolwevershaven is northwest of the water. Bij Checking the address, house number is halfway the quay, approximately 200 meter further.
After checking the address on the Waze map and in the WMEOpenMaps the location of the house number in Waze proves to be right. So the report proves to be incorrect.
Thanks for your report on the junction Nieuwe Haven, Roobrug and Vlak in Dordrecht! You wrote "Wolwevershaven 19 bevindt zich op deze locatie ", but your report is made on before address Vlak 11. The address you mentioned is about 200 meter further. Would you please let us know why you thought the address was incorrect? What was your destination? Best regards, <name> (username <waze username>, email email@example.com )
- The WME Feed shows a list of issues including URs in your editable area in the left menu, when nothing is selected
- Problems Report Tool - WMEBR Gives a clear overview with direct links to URs, MPs, PURs, Closures, Alerts, and Comments.
- WME URCom Script to handle URs. specially designed for Belux (thanks to Tunisiano18!)
- WME UR Comments Enhanced (URC+) URC+ is a vary extended script to deal with URs. You can define your own set of comments and use all kinds of settings, filterings and personal greetings. Especially handy if you work in multiple regions with different sets of answers.
- WME UROverview Plus helps manage UR, map problem, camera and more. It's a heavy weight on the servers, so preferably use any of the other tools.
- WME Auto Unfollow URs To remove you from the notification list if there is a reaction on an UR you have reacted to as well. This option is included in the URC+ script described above.
- - Install
- UR route information like the Waze provided route and the User drive (GPS track) remain available for fourty days. Older route data is cleaned up.