MapRaid is a time-limited event where map editors join together to vastly improve the overall condition of their pre-determined area of the map. This time, it is the rural western Pennsylvania (PA) area! Please read the entire MapRaid wiki.
This raid, Sept. 17-25, 2017, is designed for editors at Rank 1, 2 and 3. Higher ranked editors who are local to the area, as well as other mentors, will be available to help. If you are not sure about anything, ask! Take this raid as a learning opportunity. The more you learn, and the more positive interaction you get with the senior editors, the better you can prepare yourself for a future rank upgrade or area expansion.
|You must be in MapRaid Discord to be able to edit in this MapRaid.|
We will use Discord to communicate. There is a Pennsylvania Raid general channel and also a channel for each raid group. You must be in Discord to be able to edit in this MapRaid
WME chat can also be used. The WME Chat addon is recommended.
Improve the basemap. Read through the following slides to learn how.
- Improve routing and navigation within the designated area quickly
- Solve and respond to User Reports
- Update pending Places (Place Update Requests)
Please follow all guidance for Pennsylvania, it has all of the specific details that you need to know before editing in PA.
Do Not Mass-Edit
Please DO NOT perform edits that affect large numbers of segments at once. We want to be able to see how URs and other problems got resolved. Those who cause issues by mass editing the map may be removed from the raid, blocked from future mapraids or possibly banned from editing.
We will follow the usual US UR etiquette with one exception: we wait for only 4 days to add the reminder to URs and 4 days after the reminder to close the UR. Do not close URs if the UR contains any type of [TAG], check with the editor who placed the tag.
In Pennsylvania we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
|Highest rank of connected segments|
Note: Do Not Mass Edit just to update locks to these standards, these can be adjusted as you find them while editing other aspects of the segments such as FC, speed limits, naming, etc.
Some segments still warrant higher locks and care should be taken when setting segment lock to these standards to look for and protect these special setups with higher locks. Some examples; segments which are part of BDP, U-turn prevention, or using micro-doglegs, or other complex intersection setups.
Pennsylvania generally follows the US standards for Places, but there are some exceptions: All Places are to be locked to a minimum level of Rank 2. If these are new Places, please try to add the street address at a minimum, preferably a web address and phone as well, before locking. Places considered fundamental to the functioning of the Waze app, such as Gas Stations, should be locked to Rank 4. Complex, intricate, or crucial Places such as Hospitals, Police Stations, Fire Departments, Airports, Parks, etc. should be locked at least to Rank 4.
- New editor welcome page
- Waze Map Editor
- Best Map Editing Practice
- Editing manual
- Common editing mistakes
- How to make a Permalink
- All about using the WME Chat
- USA Basemap Editing
- Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools where you'll links and descriptions to most of the editing scripts being used. Some of these are essential to good editing, and others make the editing process much easier. WME Validator, URO+, and WME Toolbox are highly recommended.
Recommended Tools for MapRaid
- How to install a script
- Mapraid Overlay Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey required
- Countdown to Start/End
- WME Place Harmonizer (aka WMEPH)
- WME Color Highlights - for highlighting segments with the wrong state or city
- WME Geometries Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey required, along with the two PA KML files. These will add town/CDP borders along with names. After Geometries is installed, go to the Areas tab in the left WME panel and open the KML files. Note that after a refresh or opening a PL to a new WME window, you might need to re-open the KML files.
- WME GIS shows links to gov't GIS sites based on your location in WME. Also displays better location info in WME header.
- WME PA GIS Map
Here are some instructions for using the WME PA GIS Map script:
For more information, please see Pennsylvania/Resources
|Cambria GIS and FC||3||4|
|Crawford parcel server||1|
|Fulton GIS - Requires Free Userid Here||3|