|You must be in MapRaid Discord to be able to edit in this MapRaid.|
Start: September 17th (Sunday 00:00 UTC)
End: September 25th (Monday 00:00 UTC)
Registration FORM: (Will be closed on: September 12th)
NOTE: This mapraid is RESERVED to Rank1, Rank 2, and Rank 3 editors. All LOCAL editors are welcome to join regardless of their ranks. If you are local, pick "I'm local to PA". If you are a mentor rank 4, 5 or 6, you are welcome to join and help with mentoring. Just choose one of these three options: "I'm a Rank 4 Mentor", "I'm a Rank 5 Mentor" OR "I'm a Rank 6 Mentor".
|orbitc(6) [ ]||Regional Coordinator|
Map Raid Area
Each raider will be asked to focus on the area for their group primarily but will be able to access other areas, if needed. It is highly recommended that all raiders install the Overlay script to keep track of where you are editing.
Here are links to each Discord group and its respective location in WME
We will use Discord for communication. You MUST be in the Waze MapRaid Discord server to be able to edit in this Map Raid.
No Discord means no area for you. There are no exceptions!
- 1 Mapraid Host
- 2 Map Raid Area
- 3 Groups
- 4 Communication
- 5 MapRaid Goals
- 6 About this map raid
- 7 Communication
- 8 Reference Links
- 9 Mapraid edit lists
- 10 Results
Improve the basemap. Read through the following slides to learn how.
- Improve routing and navigation within the designated area quickly
- Solve and respond to User Reports
- Updating pending Places (Place Update Requests)
About this map raid
Mapraid UR Rules
We will follow the usual US UR etiquette with one exception: During the Map raid, the wait time is reduced to 4 days. Do not close URs if the UR contains a tag such as [NOTE], [CLOSURE], or any other [MESSAGE] -- check with the editor who placed the tag.
Do Not Mass-Edit
DO NOT perform edits that affect large numbers of segments at once. We want to be able to see how URs and other problems got resolved. Mass edits can be done at the end of the map raid.
We use micro-doglegs to control turn- vs. stay/keep/exit instructions. Zoom in very close to see the closely-spaced geometry nodes. Preserve them.
Road Types, Names, and Functional Classification (FC)
In Pennsylvania , we follow general US standards for road types based on the hybrid rule of FC and Route Type. Special road names are
- Federal: I-195 E, US-9
- State: SR-35 S, SR-72
- If the state road appears on the sign that drivers see as PA-xxx, use that in the road name.
If a road has more than one name follow the standard for Concurrent names on US roads.
In Pennsylvania we have a set minimum standard for locking roads based on segment type. Any road of a certain segment type must be locked at least to the rank (level) in the chart below. Roads may be locked higher for protection and special situations (areas with construction, tricky design, frequent mistakes, imaging inaccuracies, and the like), but should not be locked lower.
A great time to implement these locks is while bringing the road types of an area into compliance with the current US road type standards (FC and highway systems). Lock the roads based on type after they've been set to current US road type standards.
|Highest rank of connected segments|
Note: Do Not Mass Edit just to update locks to these standards, these can be adjusted as you find them while editing other aspects of the segments such as FC, speed limits, naming, etc.
Some segments still warrant higher locks and care should be taken when setting segment lock to these standards to look for and protect these special setups with higher locks. Some examples; segments which are part of BDP, U-turn prevention, or using micro-doglegs, or other complex intersection setups.
Trust the rules in the places browser.
How to order a Philly cheesesteak
If you go to Pat's or Geno's, don't ask for a cheese steak -- that's redundant. Say "One, provolone, with". Or, if you must, "One, wiz, with".
We will use Discord to communicate. There is a Pennsylvania Raid general channel and also a channel for each raid group. You must be in Discord to be able to edit in this MapRaid
WME chat can also be used. The WME Chat addon is recommended.
- New editor welcome page
- Waze Map Editor
- Best Map Editing Practice
- Editing manual
- Common editing mistakes
- How to make a Permalink
- All about using the WME Chat
- Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools where you'll links and descriptions to most of the editing scripts being used. Some of these are essential to good editing, and others make the editing process much easier. WME Validator, URO+, and WME Toolbox are highly recommended.
Recommended Tools for MapRaid
- UR Comments - a tremendous time and labor saving tool with automation and integration with URO+, to help with working URs. Read the documentation. Tampermonkey / greasemonkey required
- The WME Reference Sheet[PDF] is a printable double-sided tri-fold quick reference guide to some of the common topics used in WME.
- Validator is a script that validates a map area in Waze Map Editor, highlights issues and generates a very detailed report with wiki references and solutions.
- WME Chat Addon is a script that improves the WME chat GUI. For a list of all the features check the thread here -- Tapermonkey/Greasmonkey required
For more information, please see Pennsylvania/Resources
- City/County of Philadelphia (all groups) Street, address and FC
- Delaware County (groups A, B, C) Parcels and FC
- Montgomery County (groups B, C, D) Streets (PDF), County Roads and FC
- Bucks County(E and D) Parcels and FC
- Chester County (group 2 -- a tiny corner) Streets and Parcels and FC
Mapraid edit lists
Spreadsheets and forms are being used to streamline management of various group efforts and track important edits. Below you can find links to use these these forms, sheets, and see the lists.
Great job for the first ever PA MR. Incredible improvements on the connectivity score.
HOF Image here
|Watch here for results of promotions during and after the raid.|